My 7 year old son had his first operation when he was 2 ...

Posted , 2 users are following.

My 7 year old son had his first operation when he was 2 years old, he had his tonsils and adenoids taken out and his first set of grommits put in. Just 4 months later the grommits had come out without correcting his hearing problem, it was decided to put some more grommits in but yet again they did not work for him. it took another 2 attempts with the grommits within a year of each other before his consultant offerd me a same kind of procedure as the grommit but it was called the T tube procedure it works like a grommit but it is permanant. we decieded to try the T tube and yes it has worked his hearing is now perfect but we solve one problem and another problem accures, my son now suffers with at least one ear infection a month some worse than others. when we discussed his ear infections with his consultant he gave us an alternative. We could either take the T tubes out and my sons hearing would fails and he would need to wear hearing aids, or we can keep the T tubes in and basicly put up with the monthly ear infections, i have just 2 months to decide i relly dont know what to do for the best.:?:headhurts:

[i:4db26fd4dd]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:4db26fd4dd]

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I personally would go with the hearing aids. I strongly feel that most kids grow out of glue. My 3 yr old has had his first grommet insertion 3 days ago and had been wearing hearing aids for 6 months prior to the op. His f/u appointment is not until december and I am not sure wether or not it has worked... how can I assess it? I haven't really been given any reassurance post-op and a huge part of me feels as though I was rail roaded into it. He actually misses his hearing aids now and I wish now that I should have waited before going for the op.

Dee

(Registered Nurse)

[i:03b2b7583a]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:03b2b7583a]

• Posted

I totally agree. My son has glue ear and is having grommet/adenoidectomy on Tuesday. He has had hearing aids but unfortunately because he is only three and has behavioural problems we found he was more aggressive and violent at pre=school with hearing aids in so think it was sensory overload as aids amplify all sounds. I have agreed to grommets on the proviso that he only has it done once to see if it improves his speech (which is very limited and difficult to understand). If not, then I have tried every method I can and we may end up back with hearing aids. He can get by but his speech and development are suffering and we do not know if his ears are part of the problem or an additional problem. If aids work then I would stick with them.

Debbie

[i:fdf7bc9eaf]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:fdf7bc9eaf]

• Posted

hi,

have any of you tried Cranial Osteopathy. I am going to try homeopathy and this cranial osteopathy. It took 2 half years of regilar ear infections and failed hearing tests before they said it was glue ear and they want to take out his aedenoids. I have decided against the op as they said he may need another one if they grow back or the gromets fall out. My son is also having speech therapy as his speech is affected by his lack of hearing. We stopped dairy and noticed a great inprovement within weeks, also he does not have paracetamol based products as they caused him stomach problems. My son was emergency cesareain ( my second was an elective and is showing similar signs) where any of your's as they think there is a link between the two. There is a doctor who is trying to change the way glue ear and aedemoids are deal with if you want his details let me know and I will send the info to you.

Louisa

[i:7412849016]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:7412849016]

• Posted

My son is soon to go into hospital to have his adenoids and tonsils out and grommets fitted. He is 4 and just started school this week.

I am realy worried as it seems a lot to do in the one op.

The tonsils seem to have been an after-thought beeing that the consultant said......Yes he has got enlarged tonsils, so we may as well do them at the same time.

We have to trust the proffesional... or do we!

And im the one who has to sighn the concent form.

[i:4cd4be3a7d]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:4cd4be3a7d]

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.