My 70 year old father had a fall 4 weeks ago.

Posted , 3 users are following.

He fractured vertebrae in his back and suffered a lot of bruising. He also suffers with MS and finds it difficult to get around anyway. Since the fall he has been backwards and forwards to the hospital, called paramedics in twice and has continued to go downhill. The nhs hospital have more or less dismissed him now, have told him to come back in 4 weeks, but is now almost bed bound. He has started having trouble breathing and getting increasingly bad pains in his stomack and legs. I'm at the point now when I would like to go private but don't know how to proceed or even what kind of consultation we need. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

  • Posted

    Hello Gail 

    so sorry to hear your poor dad is suffering and appears not much help for both of you .

     Maybe a social worker for elderly persons might be able to direct you or help / support you both ?( in your area ,  found maybe local authorities / civic centre to where you live , or dr surgery might have a direct no / information to help you contact appropriated person 


    Pother then that are you near a private hospital. ? If so maybe you could speak to admin / reception and explain your situation , they should be able to arrange for consultation with appropriate consultant 

    hope you find some one to support and guide you both 

    stay in touch if it helps .. 

    Good luck 

    Paulina xx

    • Posted

      Thank you so much Paulina, great advice. Will get in touch with nearest hospital and see what they advise x
    • Posted

      Wish you well .

      I took an elderly neighbour for private consultation a few years ago .

      It was amazing , easy parking !

      No waiting , hospital was really quiet and the consultant was patient , understanding , respectful  reassuring and helpful .

      Her bill back then was  approx £ 250-300 at the private hospital  , gave her about 50 minutes of time , however he read on her notes that she was a widow of a late GP ( of hum he knew when her husband was alive ) and  did not  charge her anything in respect of her late husband .( I think GP may have a gentleman's hand in these situations )

      I hope you find  something similar ( you prob will have to pay , but worth it for good outcome , guidance peace of mind ....

      If gets crossed for dad and yourself 

      Paulina xx

  • Posted

    Sorry my ipad is being odd ....

    meant to write 

    worth it if if gets things sorted for your dad.  Xxx

  • Posted

    I can sympathise very strongly with your father and I am sorry that he has had this fall and done so much damage, it must be hellish painful for him.  You are at the stage of thinking 'Where do we go from here?'  I recognise the position as I am in it myself. If you can go private I would do so, and perhaps ask your GP  which Physician  they recommend, that is what I would advise. All the best .

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.