My 93 yr old friend success on walking (a lot)

Posted , 3 users are following.

This is a friend I've had for some 5 yrs or so and she will be 93 next week....she still walks around our town and now walks with her cane, but she walks.....she's pretty amazing all in all......

Has a bridge group at her apt every thursday for 4 of us ladies and then once a month a group at her place for 8 of us......

This is remarkable for a 93 yr old.

She has been taking glucosamine/msm combo for MANY YEARS without missing a day. I believe this is saving her.

I take higher doses of MSM daily and know it helps pain but probably not doing much for joint rebuilding....

I've taken glucosamine off and on for years but mostly off as I don't know that it was doing anything and then I read it COULD raise blood sugar and triglycrides and blood pressure......so that kept me from going gun hoe wth it.....

Now I'm back on it and take glucosamine **sulfate as I've read it's the best absorption...

I will see my doctor next week for my annual check in and get some bloods done and talk to her aboutglucosamine....my glucose and tris are good, I take a BP med and don't want other health issues

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

So what I want to say keep an eye on glucose levels etc. while supplementing with glucosamine.

Too bad we can't go in and correct a mistake on our posts....

It needs to build up in the joints to be effective.

• Posted

Wise words joy. That's why you need to be honest with your GP and or consultant when you are taking any health supplements.
    • Posted

I don't know how many docs KNOW about these possible issues with glucosamine....I'll bet a lot don't.

Years ago when I saw an ortho doc for my knee, he was selling glucosamine in his office and was pushing me to buy his, and I mentioned the possible glucose increase and he didn't deny that.

I can't say if it would affect everyone, maybe not...but good to know this possibility.

I think I'll go read some glucosamine reviews and maybe alert others to this.

• Posted

Some years ago when I first heard about glucosamine, I read a series of studies on various matters relating to any side effects.  Glucosamine was not found to contain sugars nor directly be attributable to an increase in blood sugars but there was a slight evidence that it may cause insulin resistance in those with type 2 diabetes.  The main view back then was that much of the glucosamine supplements on the market however contained other products along with the constituent ingredient and for example, sugar in the coatings etc.  I have found no issue whatsoever with my blood sugar levels by taking it, either on its own or with chondroitin and MSM.  I do not however take the extreme high dosage that can be obtained, my view is 'less is more' in all things.  Maybe hopefully why I don't have type 2 diabetes in the first place as I do not over indulge in my eating habits either.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.