My a fib story.

Posted , 3 users are following.

hi all I'm new on this forum I was taken in to hospital last August with a fast heart rate around 170-240 bpm told I had a fib kept in for a week while they increased the mess to lower my heart rate I was put on Bisropolo and digoxin mid week my heart was still running very quick they did a echo gram the next day they told me that my heart is pumping very weakly but to take this with a pinch of salt because of the fast heart rate they said they wait for my heart rate to lower and then when my warffering levels a right they will give me a cardio version I was then told I can leave and go home then to the end of September I went in to hospital again for a fast heart rate     This was in A and E stayed in for the night given beater blockers to lower heart rate then in the morning doctor come on dutie look at my notes and told me I have cardiomyopathy this was a big shock to me as my cardio doc said that the echo gram was impossible to go off due to the fast heart rate sent home then seen my cardiologist a few days later and he told me he needs to get me in normal sinuous rhythm and repeat a echo gram and take it from there so once my warffering levels was good I had a cardio version which was at the beginning of December while having the cardio version a junior Doctor told me that I have a week heart which she as seen from the echo gram from August told her I was told not to read to much into that echo but she insisted that my heart is weak the cardio version worked nurses told me that the echo is inconclusive to not worry when

went home very worried and upset see GP the next day told me also that the echo gram is inconclusive and also sent a letter to my cardiologists explaing what as been said to me by the A and E doctor and the one at the cardio version procedure two weeks later I phone my cardiologist spoke to pa who said she will get my cardiologist to call me as soon as possible which he did within the hour.

cardiologist told me to come in the next day for a repeat echo gram which came back normal with normal pumping action and my ef at above average the cardiologist  told me this the same day via a message left on my phone that he does not need to see me until. A years time a week after Christmas I was sent a letter from my cardiologist saying that all is fine and normal on the echo and he said that the a fib may have started from a chest infection and he will see me in one years time what I would like to know if any one else have had this experience which worried me no end be

being told that I had cardiomyopathy and a weak heart which none of showed up on the second echo gram.Thanks for reading and sorry for the long post

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Bernard

I am a little confused, what do you mean by warffering levels ? 

i cannot understand why the echocardiogram was in conclusive. they dont need a echocardiogram to check if you are in tachycardia [AF] or do you mean they did an ECG Electrocardiogram

However you are obviously very worried & quite rightly, why dont yo go and see your GP again & tell them you want a 2nd or even a 3rd opinion.

where are you located ?

Keep at them until you get satisfaction or put in a complaint to the independant hospital complaints team, normaly known as PALS

• Posted

Hi Greebo 64 what I mean by the warfferin levels right is to got the level up to 2.5 which is then safe to do the cardio version (no blood clots ) which at too stay at 2.5 for a mouth the echo gram which was done first was in conclusive because of the very fast heart rate cause the heart to not pump correctly so I was told by my cardio Doctor the chambers not filling and so on how ever the first echo gram went on my records and I think this is where the confusion started the doctor in A &E read it as me having cardiomyopath and heart failure. When I had a repeat echo done in December the person doing the echo gram told me their is no cardiomyopath or heart failure and things are looking good and this was later confirmed by cardio Doctor
  • Posted

Hi Bernard, only listen to the cardiologist. The others are just registrars and don't know as much. I was once told in A&E that I had suffered a heart attack! The cardiologist just smiled and said definitely not and there is nothing wrong with my heart only AF. It is a very difficult condition to have because of the seriousness of the rapid heart rate but keep telling yourself that it is not life threatening. Good luck
    • Posted

Hi Judth that's what I have done the cardio Doctor as never said that I had cardiomyopath or heart failure because of the very fast heart rate he said its in possible to get a true picture so once my heart is beating normal he will repeat the echo gram which did and all was okay and ended with not having to see the cardio Doctor until a years time.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.