Posted , 8 users are following.

I was diagnosed two year ago after having a ultrasound for an angiogram.  I have has further ultrasounds over the last 18 months.  I had never seen a doctor at the hospital so asked to see one. Last Tuesday went see the consultant who apologised for me slipping through the net and not seeing anyone and also missig the scans,  I was sent for a CT scan there and then.  After the scan the surgeon told me it has grown to 8.8 and that due to the state of the aorta he couldn't operate so went home with a death sentence hanging over me. I am 69 year old women and am really worried.

1 like, 10 replies

Report / Delete

10 Replies

  • Posted

    That is terrible. Did you not ask the size of your anurysm when they did the scans? I always do. At the hospital I go to you have to see a consultant some time after the scan so that he can arrange for a follow up one for the next year.
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

    That is awful that you were not seen earlier. When are they going to do the surgery .good luck to you xx
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

    I agree with Derek!

    I don't know if there was a specific reason why whoever told you that??

    At this size, of course it is very thin and fragile...but all the more reason to move you to the express list!

    My TAA was 8cm...on the aortic arch...

    When I was first diagnosed by my local area hospital and their cardiac physician/surgeon, ...he sent me for an angiogram to ascertain the condition of my heart and whether it needed any repairs like bypasses before proceeding with the aneurysm repair...

    The Intake Surgeon refused to do it , on the grounds that he'd have to go thru the area of concern(the aneurysm) to get to the heart and figured that if i was going to have the surgery anyways, that I should have the angiography done AT THE HOSPITAL, where they specialize in TEVARS ! He wasn't object to the angiogram itself BUT felt that I should have it done AT THE HOSPITAL where they'd be prepared to handle my TAA, should something go wrong with the angiogram...

    I was referred to two different University Hospital was the Vascular Team in London, Ontario Canada and the other was in a Toronto Hospital where I ended up consenting for them to take on my case. The Team that took on my case there, consisted of BOTH a thoracic cardiac surgeon AND a vascular there were other cardiac doctors and other team members that conferenced at meetings to come to a best decision, given the size and area and the other anomalies I had, which complicated my procedure.

    I wasn't having any life threatening symptoms, thankfully...and they allowed time to order in a "low profile" custom stent ...the low profile, meaning that it would be one for a smaller chest cavity ...smaller than average I guess...

    Get them to refer you to the hospital(a) that can handle your case ... Insist on them to send an immediate, urgent referral. Maybe find out where you should be going and get in touch with the hospital rep there that will help channel you in the right direction??

    You're young!

    I was approaching my 59th birthday...

    My first cardiac procedure in the same arterial location was forty years before! It was an open procedure!

    This time I had both an open surgical procedure AND the Endovascular ( closed) procedure.

    I've heard of very complicated lengthy EVAR/ stents in the Abdominal/ thoracic areas ...successfully performed with good outcome!

    Do you have any pain or discomfort of any kind?...

    Please get your referral(s) ASAP...

    Get someone to help you with that process!

    Good luck and keep us posted!


    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

      I just wanted to add that, I didn't end up getting the angiogram to check my heart, because I've had the U/S ...and my physical condition overall was actually very good...after all, I'm a cyclist...and I live in a hilly area!...

      I was shovelling snow up until I found out about my latest diagnosis...the grapefruit sized aneurysm ...near my heart...and pressing on my nerve for the vocal chord and my esophagus!

      I was getting laryngitis and coughing way too much...that's why I finally went to see my new family doctor...thankfully, an open minded/ approachable & alert physician...

      Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

    I'm so sorry to hear about your recent experience Podline, I can only imagine the pain your going through having to hear that from your consultant. Know that we're all here for you and are either personally going through an AAA or TAA or similar, or our loved ones are/have. Remain positive, don't let this stress you out. Move forward with another opinon ASAP. Let them know of the immediacy that must be taken. Do not worry and please keep us posted! 
    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

      After many months of waiting my consultant passed my scans around England and came up with a surgeon in Birmingham. I am going next Wednesday for the day for tests to see if he will operate. My surgeons in Nottingham won't touch it he says he would probably lose me on the table.  I am hoping all will go well.
      Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

    Podline, my TAA was 9cm when discovered and 11cm 1 day before my op.

    I'm not sure why the consultant is reluctant and talks about the state of your Aorta, but the size alone is not a reason to send you home like that. Your condition is potentially very critical so seek advice from other specialists as a matter of urgency.

    Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up