My abcess started as a painful toothache a few fridays a...

Posted , 1 user is following.

My abcess started as a painful toothache a few fridays ago, which increased over the next three days to a pain which was so bad, I almost felt like I would vomit! I found Nurofen Plus (Iboprofen & Codeine) helped a lot. I took three every 4 hours (instead of two like it said on the box) and this stopped me from going crazy. By Monday my face was badly swollen (I was surprised how quickly this took place) and I managed to get an emergency appointment with my dentist. On arrival at the dentists, they drained the tooth by drilling it for a short time, disinfecting my mouth (yuk), putting a small temporary filling in, and giving me a course of antibiotics. I was offered either root canal treatment or an extraction on my return but I choose the extraction - basically because I dont want to have this happen there again. Its been three weeks now and while the abcess subsided initially, and I took the antibiotics religiously like I was told, it has now slowly started to return, with my face starting to swell up again! My appointment isnt until next week, and I fear they will just give me more antibiotics and send me home again! :?:headhurts::yikes:

[i:7cc388578d]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:7cc388578d]

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I have had agonising pain from an abscess since Saturday. On Sunday I went to the emergency dental clinic and they gave me Amoxil 500 which made no difference to pain at all. In the evening the crown fell out leaving a blackened filling underneath. I went to the dentist on Monday and she drained the abscess on the root and gave me an appointment for 10 days later to take the tooth out. The tooth hurt quite a bit less after but I had to go back on Wednesday as the left side of my face had swelled a lot and everytime I close my mouth I bite my cheek which has made painful ulcers. She put me on metronidizole and it is now Thursday and the swelling hasn't gone down at all. I have never taken so many painkillers in my life not even when I broke my leg. She said if it got worse I would have to go into hospital on a drip which scared me silly. Has any one got any helpful advice or can they say how long it is likely to be before the swelling goes down?

[i:54a8274190]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:54a8274190]

• Posted

i have had a pain in my tooth after i had my filling a few days ago, i got toothache after the antiseptic wore off then afetr a couple of ibuprofen it went away next day nothing at all the day after it was in agony then i got some stronger ibuprogfen went away yet again, today mornin slight tooth ache but from 11 onwards utter pain while workin ! from 2 till now wich is 11.55 at night ive had to carry a cup for cold water or milk and evry 10 seconds sharp pain worse than i have ever felt in my life strikes but if i take a sip n hold it at the side were it hurts then the pain instantly gos away but for only about 10 to 20 seconds i havent eaten anyhing n my tooth feels frozen so it hought if i made a warm drink to see what happens wether it soothes it for longer so i made a cup of tea but that just speeds up the pain instantly i have utter sympathy with all who ever encountetr this problem what makes it worse i have braces in n it really restricts the swelling if it wants to swelll up so i have a painful tihght feeling i just want to rip my tooth out while writing this i have had a full pint of milk to sooth it how the hell ami gunna got to sleep sad
  • Posted

im an ex army lad...and have been shot twice..but let me tell u that felt like being tickled compared to the pain im suffering now..have taken so many pain killers i feel ill..so have stopped taking them as i feel they just dont work....the best thing i have found is holding cold water in my mouth over the nfected area..although this is only very short term relief..frozen vodka seemed to work better..but that can hardly be healthy...i can only hope the antibiotics startt o work soon....as it has now been 3 nites without a wink of sleep....i feel like death..look like death and to b honest would welcome death at this moment in time...if anyone has a better pain relief than ice cold water id dearly love to hear about it...

(Email address has been removed by Patient Admin)

thanks for any advice

• Posted

:o Hello everyone well liquid ambosal is what u need it numbs the pain

I woke on Thur about 11pm with dreadful toothache I can only liken to labour pain !!!!!!!!!

the ambosal I had in the cubboard was the only way i survived that nite I went to the dentist next day emergancy app and he gave me antibotics which as yet havent helped its now swollen and i have located the tooth causing the pain it feels ready to pop i can only hope it won;t hurt and start to heal itsself soon !!!!!!!!! any thoughts anyone???(thats if it does pop itsself)

• Posted

[quote:d8c13bbd59=\"Tracy Atkinson\"]i have located the tooth causing the pain it feels ready to pop i can only hope it won;t hurt and start to heal itsself soon !!!!!!!!! any thoughts anyone???(thats if it does pop itsself)[/quote:d8c13bbd59]

TCP and or salt water mouth washes smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.