My Adrenal Insufficiency Disappeared?

Posted , 6 users are following.

i was diagnosed with AI, due to hypopituitarism, a little over 6 months ago. been taking hydrocortisone 3 times a day, and i got tired of it so i just stopped taking it. I was expecting headaches, tiredness, vomiting even but none of that has happened, i feel wonderful. i dont know how this happened though, i had blood work that confirmed AI. Has this happened to anyone else?

1 like, 20 replies

20 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Having no natural cortisol and stopping your hydrocortisone HRT means that you have no means to fight inflamation. Provided nothing happens, you won't notice any difference. For a lot of people, hypopituitarism doesn't have obvious symtoms, just a slow decline over many years - that's why it takes so long to diagnose.

But heaven help you if you have an accident, have a serious illness, whatever because you have no cortisol to fight it. Your blood pressure will flatline, you will slip into a coma and you will die. There is no way that A&E or the ambulance crew will figure out in time what to do.

• Posted

You understand the problem better than I do.  It took indeed years to discover that I was in need of cortisol.  What a better life I gained.  My blood pressure till then had always been very low and is normal now. 

​Also - would you advise people with this kind of adrenal problem to wear a bracelet?

• Posted

Yes, it is essential to wear a bracelet or a dog-tag. If you are in an accident or just keel over, the paramedics need to know to give you emergency hydrocortisone injection asap, not wait until you get to the top of the Q at A&E. You should also carry a steroid card.

IMO, you don't need an expensive MedicAlert, there are a number of sites on the net where you can have them made to order. It should at least have the "snake and staff" symbol, ideally on a six arm "cross" and say "Addison's". I have a dog tag so have room for my name and NHS number plus ICE contact. 

• Posted

I don't rule out the possibility that your pituitary has recovered - indeed it is not a rare outcome. [See www DOT ncbi DOT nlm DOT nih DOT gov/pmc/articles/PMC2585697/ then Aetiology "At least partial recovery of pituitary function in 40%–65% of patients has been reported after surgery"].

BUT it seems obvious to me that one should make a decision based on a couple of simple blood tests and your endo's years of experience and training, rather than oh, let's see if I survive a minor illness.

• Posted

"your" = seesmith's

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.