My advice for people with fissures. Things I wish I knew early on!

Posted , 2 users are following.

Speaking from experience - dealt with a painful fissure for several years. I wish someone had told me all these things early on, so that I didn't build up so much scar tissue along with a stubborn fissure, that surgery was the only choice for me. So here's my advice:

Do

• wash backside with water and dab until clean every time you poo. (Portable shower spray bidets are under $20 on Amazon or eBay)
  • take a stool softener. Magnesium citrate and oxide worked best for me.
  • use a stool or box to put your feet on when pooing, makes everything easier when pooing with knees higher
  • take sitz baths - helps improve blood flow
  • add to your diet: brown rice, pears, flax seeds, apples, kiwis, figs, prunes, berries. Coffee first thing in the morning really helped me too.
  • light exercise, walking is best.
  • be patient and take doctor's advice. The prescription creams can take upto 4-6 weeks to work

Don't

• eat white flour foods (or any other foods that constipate you)
  • go overboard with fibre and water. Fibre can increase bulk and make constipation worse. Too much water causes loss of electrolytes. Loss of electrolytes causes constipation.
  • take laxatives. Laxatives are only for temporary use. You don't want your body to rely on them as it can cause more health problems.
  • wipe with dry tissue. Wiping can aggravate the fissure and open it more
  • sit down for long periods of time

If your fissure hasn't healed from diet and care within 4-6 weeks, then if you haven't already, you should see a doctor before it gets worse. If the fissure is shallow and short, creams or botox will be enough to cure you. If your fissure is deep and/or long then ask for LIS.

LIS is the number one choice as it has a 95% success rate. Just make sure you have a good experienced CRS to do it. I had to have a second LIS months after my first because the first CRS I had didn't cut enough muscle.

Hope this helps!

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Edited

Betty,

Thank you for taking the time to provide excellent advice for those newly suffering with anal fissures. I had LIS about 4 months ago. The intense spasms are gone but i still have what i would call an uncomfortable soreness, especially if I sit too long. Was it that way for you before the 2nd LIS?

best

chris

• Posted

I didn't really have bad spasms unless I had constipation which I avoided much as possible. My main issue was the intense sharp stabbing pain during a poo.

Since it's only been 4 months, it could just mean you just need more time to heal. The nerves and scar tissue healing time can be a slow process. We have so many nerves down there, that's why this illness is so painful. I was told by my CRS that both my incision and fissure were healed at the 6 week check up, however the pain from fissure didn't actually go away until several months later!

• Edited

Yes, thanks i suspect you are right in that the large number of nerves in that area makes pain relief a lengthy process even after the fissure has healed. I don't have pain during a BM or spasms any more. its generally just an uncomfortable light throb when i sit for a while that i suspect will decrease with time. I am grateful and appreciate your time to respond. Especially because you are a unique case regarding the after affect of not enough cut during the operation.I'm glad the surgeon was able to diagnose the problem and fix it for you with a second procedure.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.