My allergy meds cause me awful side effects, what should I do?

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hey guys! So I'm a 20 year old female and my allergies have recently gotten so bad that they're stopping me from basically enjoying life. I have allergic rhinitis and I get hives and all that stuff. I have food allergies as well, and I've tried every over the counter remedy I could possibly try. Allegra and Xyzal cause me severe joint pain but I have no choice. I take Xyzal when I'm super desperate. Zyrtec and Claritin make my heart feel fluttery and I get anxious, Flonase has awful side effects too! I don't know what to take anymore. I've tried RhinAllergy and it doesn't really work for me, I'm tired of spending money and my allergist rolls his eyes at me, I feel like no one really listens to me. What can I do? I use salene spray for my sinuses but it's not enough. I've been miserable all year and my ribs and my back hurt badly from having to resort to antihistamines like Xyzal. I get frequent ear infections that are allergy related and my throat hurts. I'm so tired you guys. I'm also sensitive to steroids so there's that too. Is there anyone else in my same boat?

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

Hi Daniela, I've been through a similar situation where I've tried many remedies and followed so many recommendations from co workers and friends alike with no result. My life was hell. Last time I wanted to buy a new brand to try, the pharmacist heard me complaining that nothing works from the known brands and gave me the best advice: "Try new pills based on the active substance in them, not on brand" I tried many brands before, like Piriteze, Bells, Beconaise, Benadryl one a day, but until then I didn't realise they had as a main substance "cetrizine hydrochloride" or "loratadine". I was trying the same thing over and over again. I got lucky to find the "acrivastine" substance worked for me, one pill every 8 hours, effect in 15 mins, non drowsy. It's not guaranteed it'll work for you, but I hope my story will help you in your search.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.