My Ankle Hurts Bad What To Do !?

Posted , 5 users are following.

When I Try To Get Up , My Blood Rush To My Ankle & My Ankle Starts Burnin & Stinging Really Bad Whats Going On Should I Go Back To The Doctor Or Its Just Normal ?

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hello, mine does the same thing and it swells instantly. Does yours? You need to talk to your doctor, those are some of the symptoms of RSD. I am not saying that is what it is, just saying you should talk to your doctor just in case.
  • Posted

How far along are you?  Are you still in the cast?  By the 5th week of NWB my foot would turn blue really fast when it was down.  I think it's because the calf muscle has atrophied.  Once, the cast is off and the bone is healed and you start to exercise the ankle and foot it will get better.  I too have had burning and nerve pain.  I was not diagnosed with RSD, but they said I had some nerve damage.  I used lidacaine patches and it helped some.  At 5 months the pain is less, but not gone.  One of the other ankle biters got a cream with gabapentin and ketamine which helped.  My doctor prescribed oral gabapentin for the burning nerve pain.  I never took it. I don't like meds.  You should go back to your doctor and be armed with some of these options if they don't offer it.  Ice and elevate till then.  
  • Posted

I am 9 weeks post op and a month out of my cast and get a red foot and burning when I get up in the morning.  It does go away a little during the day with exercise and when I elevate the leg.  I dislocated my ankle as well as breaking it so I assume it is the nerves and soft tissue that are gradually being repaired and the redness is the blood circulating there to aid the process. I have been told to take pain relief continuously for awhile to prevent pain when walking and doing exercises otherwise it will take longer to recover. My physiotherapist told me that patients are reluctant to take pain killers but for our injury it is necessary to get the ankle joint moving properly. I hope this comment is useful for you.
  • Posted

I assume your break is relatively recent? If yes, the blood rush is 100% normal. I had it in the first two weeks and it was beyond excruciating. It completely went away - fortunately - after about two weeks. However, the burning will stay for a while. I'm almost 4 months post op and still have it (primarily on the inside of my ankle). I also still have a lot of swelling and this causes lost feeling in my toes. The other difficult thing for me is that my Achilles area is still VERY tight.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.