My Ankle is still in pain while walking

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi Everyone

I broke my ankle last december and the doctor adivise to have a surgery now my fibula has plate and 6 screws. my cast removed last April 16, 2016 it took me 2 week before I can walk without crutches. Now May 6, 2016 my movility is still not 100% and I feel pain while walking and my ankle still swollen I dont undergo to therapy as per my doctor Im still young I just need to walk for my exercise. Im only 25yrs old.

My question is how long ussualy I will experience the pain on walking and how long ussually the mobility back at 100%? because i resign to my last work so I'll have to recover faster and 100% now I need to work because I dont have enough money.

Thanks for Advise

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

You do need Physio to help you move forward . let you know what exercises you can do safely to strengthen. I have had a similar break, plate and 6 screws, and am twice your age.

Rest, ice, compression and elevation still apply.=R.I.C.E

I suggest you find a Physio asap. Check with Dr if you are uncertain.

Good luck.

@(*+*)@

• Posted

Oh sweetie, I hope you get well soon! It's been 16 months for me, since my surgery. And I still can't put all weight down, on my ankle. But my problem is different from yours. In one spot, where they cut me to input the plates & screws, Has not closed up yet I have a hole there. It's been hard. But I'm not giving up, to getting well again! And you have to get well first, those jobs,are going to be there. So you may have to take some time off to get back to 100 per cent. Your health comes first. I've been working

everyday. I have a Knee Scooter to get around with.

Do you have one? I purchased mine online. It's been good to me. Keep me posted on your progress. My prays are with you! Thank you

Veronica

• Posted

How very sad. I feel so lucky.

Knee scooter is fantastic. Can do it eyes shut at night to toilet. Don't try this at home haha!

I hope you come right soon. Can't something be done about that? Skin graft?

U need 3rd, 4th and 5th opinions.

@(*+*)@

• Posted

Hi Albert- There are lots of exercises online on you tube if you can't afford PT. They are the same ones my physical therapist gave me. You are young and you will recover. Wishing you well. 
  • Posted

You are only a young cub,and time will be the healer.I am 54 and had a injury called a maisonneuve fracture at the end of January 2016.I am having bother with walking as I still have pain and swelling around the ankle.I got assessed by and industrial injuries doctors and he has said I have a 30% disability in my ankle.As a result of this injury and the time I have had off work as a Postman.Royal mail are looking to get of me on capability grounds.I will know today when I speak to the Occupational Health team.Physio helps the range of movement and stops stiffness setting in.I have gone from walking 12/14 miles a day to mustering a few hundred steps here and there.So keep the chin up patients is something we all have to embrace.Chris
  • Posted

Thanks for advise everyone I'll keep you updated on my progress. Right now i was able to go diffirent places by i walked slow and I can't bend my ankle so i walk like a penguin hahaha...

and also most of my gig we drink brandy and beer is that bad? 

• Posted

Be careful. You don't want to fall over again. Also check your medication to see if you can drink with them. Read the labels carefully.

@(*%*)@

• Posted

Hi. I had my surgery end of Sept 15, having 3 screws was off work 3 months which was financially and emotionally difficult.I still have swollen ankle which can take up to 1 year to reduce. I have been told that I can only expect 90% movement back, but I'm 54 yrs of age and the younger you are the quicker and more flexibility you can expect to have. It's important you start physio as early as possible, i was t 2 months Steve before i started mine. It's also important to rest, ice and massage with a good cream such as e45 available at al good chemists. It slows recovery which drinking and not eating nutritious foods, so lots to take in but you will get there, it's not an overnight miracle  so be patient. Take care

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.