My ankle still hurts what do I do?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi I'm 15 and I broke my ankle a little over six weeks ago I came out of my cast a week ago and my doctor said to walk with two crutches the first week, one the next(this week) and be walking by this Sunday coming. It's Tuesday and I'm still having pain with it. How can I be expected to walk when every time I try I get pain. I feel like I'm improving with movement in my ankle but not in strength even though I work on it every single day. I'm about ready to give up. What do I do? - Paris 

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Dear Paris

Use two crutches until you suddenly realise that you can walk strongly and with a good gait. There is no virtue struggling with one when you need two. All the best, Richard

• Posted

I don't struggle with one I'm doing amazing with it but I'm not allowed to use any by Sunday the doctor said so everyday I try and walk without any I can but I shift my weight a lot coz it hurts

• Posted

Dear Paris

The reason for using two crutches is to allow your body to take the load evenly, to retrain your body to walk well and to avoid bad walking habits due to favouring one side. I suggest that you try two crutches for ten days and not the difference. I'm speaking from the experience of two hip replacements and one total ankle replacement and the feedback of others.

Good luck, Richard

• Posted

six weeks is not so long...I found a big difference between 6 and 8 weeks. 6 weeks could not walked with one crutch but at 8+ weeks, I am Ok in the house without crutches. Outside I can manage with one short distances but tend to take both...probably more for confidence than anything else. have you got excercises to do as well?
    • Posted

My break was very minor and I should've been walking already the doctor said I do excercises everyday and can feel myself improving loads but every time I go to walk I can do it but with a limp and always shifting my weight coz it hurts loads 

• Posted

6 weeks is not that long. I've always tried to push myself a little bit and yes it hurts. It'll take time but everyday you'll improve. Always do your exercises and try not to worry - these things take time!

• Posted

Yeh but the doctor said i shouldn't need time it was a very minor break and I should've been walking already I feel like my ankle has given up 

• Posted

When is your follow up with the doctor? Bring up your concerns about this. Though in my experience, after you've been NWB for 6-8 weeks, it takes time to start walking unassisted.

Were you in a hard cast? Did they graduate you to a walking boot? are you in your shoe now?

• Posted

I think different doctors have different ideas.  In my case the physio told me it was better to walk evenly (ie with a good gait) with one crutch than limp and hobble with no crutches.

Even if you walk without crutches on Sunday, it is unlikely to be a normal gait.  I don't know when people recover a normal gait even with a relatively minor fracture.  

Minor or not a fracture is a fracture and they say the bone take 6 weeks to heal and there is bound to be damage to tendons and ligaments too which could take longer. 

Is it really bad pain you feel or just nagging discomfort?

If the former - then perhaps your body is saying it is not ready.  If the latter, then I think a bit of pain is inevitable for a long while yet.

I hope the doctor isn't just treating you like a child? It is your body, your ankle, your pain.  Discuss your questions with doc next time you see him/her. Good luck

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.