My Anteria and Posteria Prolapse repair aftercare

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hello,

I'm desperate for some information and advice after having my operation 2 weeks ago for a prolapsed bladder and bowel repair, I've had it all stitched back and was told it all went well, I'm 30 years old and had 6 children, apart from that and the general leaflets your sent home with I wasn't told anything so Havig to google a lot which isn't helping so I would be put more at ease speaking with people that have had it done :-)

I went home the evening of day 3, I could wee ok once the catheter was removed but it was so painful and felt as if my muscles were being stretched everytime I did wee, I still have that now but not as harsh as the first few days, on day 5 i still hadn't opened my bowels and I started to feel worse, get hot and cold and a horrid smelling discharge so the doctor came out and said I have an infection and has given me 10 days antibiotics and laxido 3 times a day and senicot at night, since then I can go to the toilet, although the first time was traumatic ! And the smelling discharge has gone, I now have this feeling as if something heavy is going to come out, what is this ? It makes me think the opp hasn't worked but I can't even see anything inside to be able to tell ! Also I get a sting pain near the entrance ? What's the recovery like please help X

0 likes, 42 replies

42 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi. I'm nearly 3 weeks recovery from posterior repair and although I have not had an infection it is a bit smelly down there? !😯

There exterior stitches are causing more grief than anything else with 1 at the entrance which keeps digging. As a lot of the ladies say on this great forum : LOTS OF REST WITH FEET UP. Lots of water and soluble fibre. I swore by lactose and still take it if I haven't been. I too get a feeling that something is coming out but I know this is just the wound healing and will take time to subside. I also have a daily shower and a quick spray with just water to keep clean.

Good luck hon and keep in touch. It's a slow recovery which I am still also struggling with.

• Posted

Thank you jo, sounds all normal then? Maybe I'm expecting it to heal abit to quickly I think, I just had not being able to do anything ! Not being able to see inside to see what's what is fustrating, I don't even no what scars and stitches I have xx
    • Posted

You sound as inpatient as me lol! Although I only had posterior repair I have a scar from my vagina toward the back of about an inch which I didn't think I would have. If on my feet I feel like I've got a tampon in wrong if that makes sense? I too have children (3 & 11) and constantly needing to pick up toys off the floor and bending which I must admit is taking it out of me. I'm due back in work in a week (4 week post op) but not sure if this is too soon?
    • Posted

I have a weird line on the perineum but can only see stitches inside but only just as it seams so small in there now lool :-/ what do you think that is ? Does it sound like yours ? I have that feeling too, it also feels real heavy down there now mow than it did when I had it done 2 weeks ago ! x
  • Posted

I have a very defined line of stitches on the outside id say about 5 mil lump of stitches with the 1st stitch jabbing my bits. If only we could compare scars lol!

You will still have a lot of swelling down there. This will take some time (I'm told). Cannot stress enough NO LIFTING and also do your pelvic floor exercises ASAP and forever!! Look after yourself hon. X

• Posted

Haha go I can't even bare to imagine what it looks like :-/ I was told not to them for 6 weeks as it puts to much strain on the scars ? I will have to check that X thanks X
  • Posted

Forgot to also say. My opening looks much smaller and also higher than before? TMI or not it's true. Hope it will heal ok for my hubby although still can't bare to think about that yet.
    • Posted

Omg I'm terrified of sex .. How's that's going to work I don't no !!! the doctor said to me oh your allowed by week 4 ... I can't see that happening anytime before week 8 ! X
  • Posted

Hello. Found your post. The heaviness you feel is normal so don't worry. I know it feels as though your pelvic floor is going to collapse but it will get better. Take your painkillers and don't be a martyr. Rest as much as possible because that's what your body is telling you to do when you feel that heaviness. Put your feet up as if you were in bed. Do not overdo it in the first 4-6 weeks because that's when the stitches are bedding in. The more you rest the more successful your surgery will be, don't undo your consultant's good work
    • Posted

Hi. Thanks for the advise. My 4 week cert runs out next week. I'm booked into see my gp to see if I can go back to work as feel ok but you did mention 4-6 weeks recovery for posterior repair? Is 4 weeks too soon to return to a desk job?
    • Posted

I think it is too early and hopefully your GP will as well. I think 8 weeks is more reasonable 
  • Posted

Thank you so much for the replys and advice, I'm glad the heaviness is normal, do you no what the feeling like somethings going to come out is ? I haven't lifted anything heavier than half a kettle full and I've sat or had my feet up the whole 2 weeks, why do they say in the leaflets no sex for 4 weeks of the recovery is 12 weeks ? It makes me feel sick to think of any of that, I'm not sure I will want to ever again ! Perhaps my wedding next year might not happen if I continue to keep feeling so anti husband to be ! :-(
    • Posted

I know how you are feeling. A good tester for your future husband! From my early experience as only just 3 weeks since surgery I still hope to be back in the sack in time but you will both appreciate some intimate attention soon. Not involving full sex I'm sure you know what I'm getting at?! We've been together over 20 years and are both looking forward to our new sex life (fingers crossed ) . Planning a night away without kids to "get to know each other again" when the time is right. I wish you luck planning your wedding day and honeymoon!!

Healing hugs to you xx

• Posted

Oh I'm glad I'm not alone in this !!

Yes test out before I sign myself away haha

I was thinking the 'get to no each other again ' think it will be like teenage 1st base .. 2nd base haha !! Does it worry you ? Xx

• Posted

My thoughts exactly. Getting to know each other again. Yes , I'm worried about the end result and how long it will be. Just hope things get back to normal at least. It's the unknown that we both worry about. Let's ensure we rest and not push this arduous recovery. Don't want to undo the good work and discomfort. Happy healing will hopefully improve "activity". Keep up with the pelvic floor exercises this will help speed up a good recovery (I'm told). Xx
    • Posted

We are to inpatient by the looks of things lool hope you heal and get back to normal ok and thins all go ok, I'm sure one of us will post again with something within the next few weeks :-) thanks for all the chats xx
    • Posted

Hope all goes well for you too. Seems like we're on this together! Will definitely keep you posted as I'm just slightly ahead of you on this road to recovery. Good luck hon and hope things recover well. Now get some sleep! !!😪xx
    • Posted

Hi hon. How are you doing? Hope you're as bored as I am lol! X
    • Posted

Hello X

Ahh it sounds silly as there's always people a lot worse off BUT I feel like it's a case of 'getting through' another day :-/

I just sit on the sofa alday doing nothing, my partner does everything, even if I get up for a drink he's like sit back down, bless him !

I've not had any sign of stitches coming out and un sure on of I should be doing pelic floor exercises and how to do them ?

Are your days anymore fustrating than mine ? Xx

• Posted

Hi hon. He sounds like husband material! Don't worry I'm the same only I keep trying to do stuff like laundry and wash pots tidying. Not sure if that is good . No sign yet of stitches coming out either. I was told to start pelvic floor exercises as soon as catheter was out. Before surgery I also had physio which helped to show me how to do pelvic floor exercises . Imagine a zip going from bum to front and do it up and hold for 10 sec X 10 and also same but quick holds each time. Start them now and keep it up, literally! !why do they not show you after childbirth instead of just asking if you are doing them!?

I am suffering today after a short walk yesterday. When I thought I was ok.

• Posted

Thanks jo, I will do them from now :-/ how many times a day do you do them ? I knew to do them similar to that just un sure when and how many lol

Is it still pain full now From the walking ? I've just stood in the garden for 10 mins talking to the guy doing my fence and omg !!!! I hurt now too, all this is horribal and seams never ending !

• Posted

Hello again. Feeling better again. Just needed a full day of rest and to listen to your body if pain starts then feet up. Do pelvic floor exercises building upto 10 X a day of each. I'm still finding them hard work. Take it easy hon. X

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.