My Anteria and Posteria Repair

Posted , 126 users are following.

Hi Ladies,

Prior to having my Anteria and Posteria Repair, mainly due to problems going for a poo, when to be frank it felt like I was trying to push the poo sideways out of my bottom, resulting in lots of pain and blood - making me very unhappy. After reading this and other forums, which I found very helpful (which is why I'm contributing now in the hopes that this helps others) I decided that although some people had not had a good experience it was worth the risk rather than putting up with the pain for the rest of my life (47 at the time).

On examining me the Dr found that I had significant bladder weakness too and he suggested that he could improve both - he did seem to focus on the bladder a little when I kept telling him it was my bum that was more of an issue - I digress a little as you know how dismissive doctors can be and how hard it is to stick up for yourself, especially in this area which not only affects you physically but psycologically as it impacts your sexuallity and self confidence too.

So I had the op in May 2013 and I recognise a lot of the other post-op entries on this forum but the main instructions were - 3 Golden Rules, number 1 - don't lift more than half a kettle for 6 weeks. Number 2 do pelvic floor exercises or it will all come back and need doing again. Number 3 make sure you stick to rule one and two.

I took 8 weeks off work (I have a desk job and a supportive employer) and followed the rules I, 2 and 3. Yes it was difficult and very frustrating also for the family to remember when you look fit and able but you can't bend to pick stuff up as it would pressure where you shouldn't have it.

It wasn't all plain sailing with pain and concern about stitches not disolving as quick as I hoped but I wanted to let you know that now (9 months on) I feel more confident, sexy and in control of my bodily functions. The Rectocele hasn't made things perfect but things are still improving even after so long so perhaps it will get even better but if not, its much much better than before.

Regarding the sex, thats better too and one thing I wanted to share - I noticed significant dryness for around 6 months, around the scar tissue but I', happy to say that this is also is improving.

Basically well worth having done and I would advise anyone to go for it. Prolaps issues should be taken much more seriously by GPs as it is embarassing to discuss and we deserve to feel 'Right' and everything that entails!!

27 likes, 278 replies

278 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi everyone, I'm so glad I found this forum.  I had an anterior repair and endometrial ablation 9 days ago.  I've been trying hard to be patient and not do anything to jeopardise my recovery but I'm a notoriously impatient patient!  Because I felt pretty good today I did a few things, put some laundry in the machine (though no lifting involved) spent a bit too much time on my feet, and then did some ironing (though whilst sitting down).  Now I feel a slight discomfort very low down below, and I'm scaring myself thinking what I might have done.  It's so hard when you can't feel anything most of the time, and can't see a wound, at least it is for me.  I also get some sharp pulling pains right down into my pelvic region on both sides if I stand too long.  Is this normal?  

My surgeon also told me I could start driving again 2 weeks after my operation.  Has anyone else started driving again this soon?

Thanks everyone.

• Posted

Hi Sarah. That sounds exactly like me. Same type of pain too. I cannot sit back & bark orders to husband, let alone leave things not done. I will be 1mth tomorrow post anterior repair with TOT sling. Driving ok so long as you feel you would be fine to be able to jam on foot brake in emergency. Maybe 2wks a little too early though. Sneezing is now the most pleasurable thing! Hehe! NO leakage or necessity to stop & cross legs!! Hope it all goes smoothly for you. And I am hoping to not have done any damage by doing things!
    • Posted

Hiya Sarah I am not sure about the driving paperwork I had before my repair work says not to do to much for a least 6 weeks and defineatly no driving even at 6 weeks you have to check if your insurance covers you please don't do to much I had a hysterectomy back in 1994 and did to much landed myself back in hospital so please be careful  take it easy and let everyone else help for a while 
  • Posted

Hiya I am hoping you can let me know roughly how long you kept your stitches they done my operation internally but I also have 2 stitches in my groin that I was told would dissolve I am now 19 days after my surgery and they are still there please could you let me know if you had the same thank you so much
    • Posted

Dissolving stitches can take an age to dissolve. I'm sure mine are still there internally and I'm 5wks post anterior repair now. I didn't have any groin ones. Surgeon just steri-stipped the two entry points for the metal thingie they shove through to hook sling into right place. I didn't need perineal repairs.
    • Posted

Thank you Robyn your words are some what of a comfort to me although I wouldn't wish the op on anyone it's nice to know your not alone there are lots of good people on here suppose we just wait the time out and try and get on with it but thanks again
  • Posted

Hi I had a posterior repair two weeks ago I haven't hardly taken any pain killers,,but was wondering if the sensation down below is normal at this stage,,like a little dragging but not all the time,I'm worried in case it hasn't worked..sad
  • Posted

So happy to stumble onto this site, only advice I was given was no lifting, hanging out washing,housework or driving, did not know bending is a No No as well. I am 12 post anterior and posterior repair ,going OK so far ,scariest part was the first BM! Eating all bran and prunes has really helped,also sitting on loo with elbows on my knees is perfect position for ease of empty. Just wondering how long blood loss should take to end? Using 2 pads a day although not heavy. Have been doing way more than I should after reading all your helpful posts ,will now rest a lot more. Thank you all so much as it can all get a bit overwhelming, I am 60 and work full time, my doc has given me 8 weeks off so hopefully I will be fine, take care all.
  • Posted

Hi HappyLady, I'm glad your tvt and repair seems to have helped you. I would just like to tell ladies to be aware of any known complications with any tvt or tvt-o and POP mesh operations. I had a tvt-o in december 2012 and for 9/10 months I was over the moon, I felt all my problems were over and it was the best thing I could have done. But then I started to get sutle symptoms, pain in the back of my thighs, then numbness in my buttocks, pain in my tail bone, nerve pain inside and into my buttocks. I then started to get pain on intercourse, eventually the pain was so bad I could no longer have a sex life. This has resulted in my relationship breaking down. I have gone onto have low abdominal pain, incontinence slowly returning and its even starting to effect my bowels as the numbness is getting worse and I find it hard to control my bowels :-( I have now been diagnosed with pudental nerve damage and I am awaiting removal of my tvt-o, this is going to be a huge operation in comparison to the original operation. I am now seeing a female health physio who said if only I had been refered to her first, as she has a very good track record of helping ladies regain their pelvic floor muscles and then I wouldnt have needed the tvt in the first place. Please do alot of research, tvt mums website or sling the mesh on facebook. You can still have the option of a repair using your own tissue. I hope all you happy ladies with your tvt's continue to be problem free. But for me, its ruined my life and I wish I had never had it done.
    • Posted

Hi Tracey,

I am so sorry to hear about your problems after your surgery. I hope one of these days you manage to get some quality of life back. I too had a tvt & anterior repair in feb 2014. For the first 6 months it was great & then in the August my bladder prolapsed again & since October 2014 I've been in pain but it's more my upper back. I've had no leg/buttock pain so while I don't think it is down to the mesh I do think that there has been some sort of nerve damage while the surgery was being carried out. I got nowhere with the nhs through physio & acupuncture so im going to a private chiropractor which is helping but will take a good number of sessions. I can add that I am now 100% cured for the incontinence but I cannot do the excercise I used to do before the surgery. I would be the same as you Tracey. If I had my time again I wouldn't go through with the surgery.

• Posted

Hi

Just wanted to post my own experience too. I had a my womb out along with a repair at the front wall 3 years ago. All went well, started pelvic floor exercises as soon as catheter out. Began only light household chores after 2 weeks, nothing heavy that causes discomfort. Began with one 5 min walk gradually increasing to 2 20 min walks by 12 weeks. Swimming around 8 weeks. Unable to return to gym due to high impact bring a no go area. So continued to increase walking time and swimming. Heavier household chores resumed around 12 weeks but still need to be careful. Returned to work around 8 months. Was great improvement, near normal life but still had to be careful, still had to watch weight issues and lent of time on feet. I am a till operator in supermarket and sometimes have to help with packing can be a nightmare when football match on and lots of heavy cases of beer come through. Also can be up to 5 hours on my feet when supervising on self scan areas . Lower back starts to ache after 3/4 hours. Was initially working part time , but last November on run up to Xmas was out 5 days most weeks, and my prolapsed again , both front and a little at the back. They have been really quick to get me back in for repair this time. I am now 8 days post op and again everything going well with usual anguish over niggley pains and wondering if overdoing things, as usual keep bending down too much (it is really difficult) , this time they gave me a gentle syrup to aid BM so I don't strain really glad about that , last time it took days, think the anesthetic knocks the muscles and nerves out for days and I thought I'd been tightened up so much that the passageway no longer lined up with the exit, does eventually sort itself. Been told up to 3 months off with pay but can take another 3 months without pay. So will take as long as I need don't want to have to have more surgery too soon. I hope this helps some of you, it can be such a confusing time and everyone is different , one doctor said that my ligaments must be weak as I prolapsed again , so will always have to be careful not to overdo things. Would be easier if I was retirement age but still got 11 years to go and not sure how often they can re-repair without causing more damage!

• Posted

How did they fix your bladder back into place first and second repair? Did you have a Urogynaecologist both times? Did they repair posterior prolapse too both times?
    • Posted

Hi,

As far as I know they make incision in front wall and push bladder back in place then sew up incision tightening up any excess. Posterior wall only done 2nd time , prolapse at back only very slight, so only small repair near exit. Different Gynocologist this time, doesn't feel so tightened up this time, but having said that the front prolapse was not as bad as 1st time. 1st time I had a 3rd degree prolapse , this time it was 2nd degree so hopefully recovery should be a bit quicker this time. Hope this helps.

Phyllis

• Posted

Arh ok. I had a TOT sling put around mid section of urethra to hold the bladder back up in correct position. It works brilliantly. Maybe with that there is less likelihood of reccurence.
    • Posted

Thank you will look into that should I prolapse again in future. When I spoke to my cunsultant 3 year ago I mentioned the mesh and he said they prefer to try everything else first and that this would be tried at a later stage if all else failed! Think I will have to watch this time not to overdo things, I love cycling as prefered way to keep fit, and maybe I should try get a desk job to avoid

long hours on my feet and try avoid weight issues. Problem is I love my current job, and enjoy the interCtion with my regulations customers.

• Posted

Sorry, hate the way my phone changes my words! I enjoy the interaction with my regular customers.
    • Posted

Arh yes very true. Maybe it depends a lot on which mesh & the mesh that caused initial probs isn't used now. If you had mesh & gave it a good length of time to heel into position, then you could stay in same job. Not sure cycling is good though. There is controversy over everything & a very tiny % might have problems but the stats didn't sway me enough to not try most fail safe fix first off.
    • Posted

My neighbour mentioned that she had a sling fitted as she had a prolapse, she said that it's worked and has had no bother since!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.