My anxiety is taking over my life- what should i do?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Even as a young child I was always anxious. At about the age of 8, I would refuse to go anywhere (apart from school.) If I did go out I would feel is if I couldn't breathe, like I would be sick etc etc. I even felt it at home, or when my Mum was away. In fact, and this is embaressing, I've slept in the same bed as my Mum since I was tiny. I'm 14 now, and it's not that I can't sleep alone, it's just that I only feel safe with my Mum (we don't live with my dad so that's never been a problem). Obviously, I don't really want to sleep with her anymore though. Also, I can't do anything alone. Even going to the shops I feel like I'm going to pass out, I can't meet up with friends or do anything. It is getting to me now like it has never done so before. I don't have many friends because I don't go to school regularly, I just get so anxious resulting in me feeling annoyed at myself, sad and fed up. I get anxious on the walk to school, I feel dizzy, faint and out of breath. I feel faint the whole time I'm at school, like I'm going to pass out. I'm fed up of everyone- my mum, teachers etc having a go at me when I can't do anything about it. They remind me how important school is- as if I don't know that?? It just makes me feel worse. I want to beat this, I really do. I want to go to school everyday all day but I just can't. Sometimes I get up in the morning and I just feel as if I can't leave the house, I can't explain it very well. And I used to love going on holiday- we used to go to Corfu, Paris, Cannes so many lovely places and it was so amazing. But now I can't even spend the night at a friends house, i just feel so awful. I'll spend the night crying (secretly) on the phone to my Mum, feeling like i can't breathe and like I'm going to pass out. I haven't been shopping for weeks, I haven't been to the supermarket (that is literally 2 mins away from my house) for ages and I just don't know what to do. I mean, does CBT really help, because I am not a very strong-minded person, and I am rubbish at all that tell yourself you'll be ok and you will be stuff. Arggh, I'm so fed up of this and exhausted. I need help soon, so that i can start going out, going to school so that I can get some friends and good grades and go off to college. I don't want this to take over my life. I already feel as if I've had my independence taken away. 

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Firstly knowing you need help is great!! Secondly get CBT you never know, sometimes it doesn't work for people but you have to give it a go! I'm waiting for an appointment.

I know it's hard but you have to start small and build up but you have to realise that it's just anxiety to be able to get through it.

Go on your garden and spend 5 minutes just walking around think of the fresh air and the colours so your not focused on your anxiety.

At night start off in your own bed maybe for a few minutes but extend that time every night.

That's the key just taking small steps and believe in yourself, you have to be strong and it won't be easy!

I have suffered all my life I'm 22 now. I remember in primary school I had to sit at the back of the class or I would feel sick and panicky. It did subside on its own and I got through secondary school without it making a return. It started again when I was 18 I couldn't go out I was scared or dying and illness and I saw a psychiatrist who helped tromendously for me! It then went after about a year and returned this year and I have a baby to look after, but I can deal with it better now by using breathing exercises.

Take CBT it could change your life for the better! Believe in yourself! It's hard when people have a go at you but they don't know how it feels take your mum with you so she can learn to understand. Good luck and I hope you start to feel better soon x

• Posted

Thank you, I think your advice about CBT is probably right, I'll give it a go. I hope the waiting list isn't too long though! 

I'm going to try 15 minutes in my bed tonight as well, and build it up slowly and steadily. Thank you for not jumping down my thorat about that, like everyone else does. 

I was exactly the same during primary school, but unfortunately, mine hasn't subsided throughout highschool. Year 7 and 8 were fine, year 9 was awful and now year 10 is even worse sad I am so worried about my GCSE's failing. I'm glad your psychiatrirst helped, but I'm sorry to hear that you are suffering again, especially witht the stresses (and joys I'm sure) of a new baby. Good luck with it all, and I hope you and I both make get through this and make it to the other side! 

• Posted

You are too young to feel this way. Now is the best time to try really hard to get out of that and make sure it does not get you in your adult life. Im sure you will overcome it, just start walking in the right direction.
    • Posted

Thanks. My mum went to see a cousellor for me and he is suggesting I go on sertraline. I'm going to give it a go and I just hope that I feel better soon. 
  • Posted

You have a panic disorder, but i think you know that. You developed agoraphobia/social anxiety and doctors do know how to treat this. Is your GP aware of all this anxiety you have and how its interfering with your life?  They can help you but you need to tell the GP and be very honest. 
    • Posted

Yep, I know all that haha! My counselor has given me sertraline to try and beat this rolleyes I'll give it a try! 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.