My apologies if I

Posted , 4 users are following.

have asked this question before.  I am on sertraline 100mgs.  Is it safe to take with my GERD?  Any thoughts.  Anyone else have GERD and take sertraline??

thank you

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

I also suffer acid reflux and I have taken sertraline before although not that high dosage and I was fine
    • Posted

I only took 20mg but I don't take it anymore but my doctor said it was safe as a matter of interest what is tetra? I take pantoprazole.
  • Posted

A possible interaction between sertraline and cimetidine has been recognised. Cimetidine is an H2 blocker but no interaction has been reported with other H2 blockers (eg ranitidine / Zantac) nor PPIs.

As far as its action is concerned, no effects on reflux nor acid production have been reported.

But it may be worth discussing this with your pharmacist.

• Posted

Thanks Barrett's for responding.  I am not sure that I understand your answer.  What is Cimetidine?  I take tetra 40 mgs.  I will check with my pharmacist but I look forward to your response.

thanks

lynda

• Posted

Brand name of Cimetidine is Tagamet. It is a "Histamine H2 Recetor Antagonist" that has been around for years. Other H2 blocker drugs are ranitidine (Zantac), famotidine (Pepsid) and nizatidine (Axid) - but no drug interactions have been reported for those. If you're taking a PPI (eg omeprazole, lansoprazole etc), I think you should be OK.
    • Posted

Barretts, where does Pantoprazole fit  in. Is it a good drug for gerd?
    • Posted

Pantoprazole (brand name Protium (UK), Protonix (US)) is a proton pump inhibitor. Maintenance dose is 40mg (equivalent to 20mg omeprazole). All PPIs are as effective at reducing acid when used in equivalent doses but for some reason, some aptients do not tolerate one or anaother. Pantoprazole is generally well tolerated by most patients who may not tolerate omeprzole.

As with all PPIs, it is good for reducing acid.but not reflux.

• Posted

Well, what do you know? I was on 2 Omeprazole per day and they seem to wear out their effect over a years time. I was put on Pant. after       complaining. It Helped awhile then went on 2 per day. The 2 P's seem to help much more than Omep. I see the surgeon on the 28th again. After I tell him  2 Pantoprazole it heped he will say come back next month......doctor ruconfusedwelette I call it.

What is this abut the O being better than the P. I don't feel it is better.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.