My Appointment

Posted , 10 users are following.

Good morning Guy's.  Instead of hooking into another discussion I just did my own to tell you all what went on at my appointment.  Some of you have been asking......................... Well things went well  Was with him for about 45 minutes. First of all my bladder is good clips still in the same place so prostate is wide open.My problem is my sphincter muscle.  Most of the time it get loose when you get older.  My is to tight.  He explained that when I pee the sphincter will open enough to go but my steam is small.  But when they have to catheter or if I try to self cath my sphincter muscle put up fight.  That is why it was so pain full in the hospital.  He did had some trouble getting the scope in this morning.  He also saw some scar tissue from when I did CIC.  So what he wants me to do is go to Pelvic Health and Rehabilitation. For Pelvic Floor exercise.  I ask if they were kegel  but he said no.  He told me what is was but don't remember.  He is also putting me on Flexeril to help relax the sphincter.  He want me to try it.  When I get it I will have to see how he wants me to take it.  He hope it will relax the sphincter.  Going to read up on it before I take one.  He hopes it will help my flow.  He is also giving me ciprofloxacin 500 MG for 7 days so I don't get a infection.    We will see.  He told me if I have a problem to just e-mail him and he will get back to me.  Nice guy.  Well that's it for now.  The last few days been the pits.  Going to lay down and relax.  Take care all and good health.  Ken         

0 likes, 105 replies

105 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

good luck with recovery my friend.......regards Syd
    • Posted

Thank you very much Syd.  Hope this works.  He said that this is the first step.  If it works fine if not we have to move on.  He said the next step would be a surgery.  Don't want to even think about it.  Thanks Again  Ken

• Posted

Thanks for the update. Is this the same doctor that did your urolift? Did you have a tight sphincter prior to the urolift? Did he give you a reason why your sphincter is so tight? One reason is nerve damage and my understanding is the only way you can rule that in (or out) is by urodynamic testing, did he mention those tests?

Jim

• Posted

Yes it is the same doctor.  I don't know.  Before he said my slow steam was from my stricture and my prostate was bigger.  .  He had no problem getting through that but when he hit the sphincter is when he had the problem.  He told me before that he felt it was the pelvic floor.  He said that all the muscles are connected to the prostate.  I may feel relax but my body buts up a fight.  We will see  Ken   

• Posted

Call me a skeptic smile but your doc's story (diagnosis) keeps changing. And why is he blaming CIC for "scar tissue" when preceding it you had some very traumatic Foley insertions in the hospital? Hopefully things will work out but at some point you might consider a second opinion as well as full urodynamic testing to eliminate any nerve issues that may be at play.

Jim

• Posted

This is true.  He did not know what the problem was but he did say it was from the pelvic floor.  Some of the scars must be from the catheter insertions in the hospital. CIC may have done some but I think the ones in the hospital did the worst.  He did say there was a few.  I'm going to do what he telling me now but I will not have any surgery until I have more test.  Time will tell   Ken

• Posted

As long as you're experimenting, you might try the new Coloplast FLEX coude. It's a dfferent type of Coude and the material is softer than the Speedicath. I'd start with FR14.

Jim

• Posted

Thank you Jim    I will see if I can get some of them  I like to be ready just in case.  .  Right now the doctor gave me 30 of the 14 FR coude catheters self lube and Comfort Choice    Ken
    • Posted

Jim, you are correct. I evaluated this particular coude version and one slight problem is that the catheter tube tends to revert to a coil. The discharge funnel is now out of direct line of sight. The net result is tat you are likely to wet your feet since the passage into the bladder is swift and with very little sensory feedback. But, you son learn!

Unfortunately it is classed as a true coude which makes it quite a bit more expensive, and some vendors have refused to carry this product unless the patient is already using coudes so can get this one with no price increase.

Regards, alan86734.

• Posted

Yes, the first time with the FLEX can be tricky (or wet) but you get used to it quickly. These catheters are covered by Medicare if your doc specifies "coude". Not sure about the other insurance companies. Should be carried by the major online cath distributors.

Jim

• Posted

To Ken’s “My Appointment” Thread,

My guess is that the number of subscribers who silently read these threads exceeds those who actually post their experiences. As far as I am concerned, the Scout’s time honored motto, “Be prepared!” is extremely relevant here.

In my own case I am doing just fine with my CIC, in accordance with Jim James’, et al, teachings, and I am fully aware of how lightly I have gotten off thus far. But, one never knows, things could change for the worse without warning. And I will be forever indebted to you dear people for your support!

May happiness rain down upon you all, Cheers, alan86734.

• Posted

Alan that is very true.  I have all way said be ready for whatever happens and get all the information you can.  If your not happy with what your doctors is trying to sell you.  Get another opinion.  God bless you all  Ken
  • Posted

Hi Ken - any news yet on how Flexeril has relaxed your external sphincter? Any side effects? All the best to you. Howard
    • Posted

Good morning Howard.  It has only been 4 day's.  I do have some improvement.  No pain in groin and back very little.  I have notice when I have to go to the bathroom.  I don't have to wait when I stand there.  It starts within a few seconds.  Steam is still small but I feel like there is more force.  It just don't fall out.  I must be emptying my bladder better because I don't have the feeling to go again after I pee.  I will let you know by the end of the week if I have more improvement.  The only side effect I see is that it makes me tired.  But will deal with it.  Take later  Ken   PS  He want's be to take it 3 times a day

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.