My appointment with my Rheumy Nurse yesterday I have to say she was very thorough

Posted , 6 users are following.

My gps have been trying to decide for ages now whether or not I have RA or PA but they are now leaning towards PA. I had my first appointment yesterday with my Rheumy nurse and she was lovely. Very thorough checked every joint and made notes of hotspots. Discussed their plan thankfully she agreed the way forward is to actually have the  3 bone isotope scan and an mri of my hands. When I see my consultant next, he will be giving me a new med .....Methotrexate I must say I am a little wary of the side effects of this, and wondered if any of you are on this drug and how you are coping with it? I also have to have my bloods monitored regularly now, she gave me a blood book lol. I also have OA and a prolapsed disc since I was 22. I also have DiGeorge Syndrome which is to do with my genes/dna. I am a lady of age 51 and have been seeing doctors most of my life. I had a chest xray done yesterday whilst there, can you tell if there is anything wrong by what the radiologist tells you? He asked if I had to go back to outpatients and I said no and he replied it will be with your consultant when you see him next and he will discuss the results with you. I am not at all worried what will be will be, just curious lol

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Karen , im 48 and ive been on methotrixate for over a year now ,1st via tablets now i give myself it by epipen , everyones different but its sofar so good with me ,i think it depends what dosage you have to take ,at the moment ive been told their going to increase mine as im only on 12.5 plus sulfazaldine & hydroxychloroquine , i have RA and my symptoms seemed to be getting worse at the moment so i had to have a steroid injection too yesterday . Hope the meds help you .
  • Posted

HI 

I have been on Methottrexate for almost 2 years, pills first now on injection, In the beginning I used to get tired a day after I take it. Now it doesn't bother me. They should give you Folic Acid supplements. My blood work has been normal. Over all I didn't have bad reaction or side effects so far. Ufortunatley, alcohol is not recommneded - I miss my glass of wine with dinner.

Good Luuck

• Posted

Yes i get a  quite sore head for a couple of days after (even still)  and i had totaly forgot about the tiredness after too until i read yours dancingG 
  • Posted

Thank you for you quick replies think mine will be a higher dose too as i havs rather bad  psoriasis on scalp and elbows sad I hate it. Dont drink so thats not a problem, its just the darn tiredness will keep you all updated
  • Posted

Hi Karen, I'm 56 and I've been on Methotrexate for 4 years. They initially upped my dose to 17.5mg to get on top of the disease. I was told not to look at the side effects on the internet because methorexate is an anti-cancer drug and is usually administered in very high doses, hence the side effects. I still have my liver function tests done monthly because I have had fluctuating ALT results. Last year they went up to 300 ( should be under 40). They reduced my dose to 10mg weekly, because the disease was under control, and they have returned to normal. I don't drink either but that was easy to drop because alcohol made my symptoms worse anyway, ( along with chocolate and heavy cream) sad

They have to do a chest x-ray prior to putting you on methotrexate because lung problems can be a side effect. Hope things settle soon for you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.