My arches go numb after walking for about 20 minutes

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi,

So my arches go numb after walking for about 20 minutes. They will also go numb by the end of the day if I walk in increments. It first start happening in the left foot, then in the right after depending on it more. I had been walking barefoot on my hard wood floors for 5 years and that could be the reason. I don’t jog. At one point it was so bad I had to use a scooter to get around my apartment. I got $600 orthotics made using infrared scanning but they still go numb after about 20 minutes of walking and I feel they don’t support enough but the Podiatrist seems to think so. Ice gets rid of the numbness. The Podiatrist says the facia in the arch I getting inflamed and causing swelling which is pinching a nerve. I’ve done hamstring stretches, calf stretches (towel pull) for weeks. Got new New Balance walking shoes and my arches still don't last a day just walking around my tiny apartment. It’s been going on for almost 2 months now. If I push it too far then I will get a little heel pain but that doesn’t happen often. Its affecting my entire life. I cant go anywhere, I can’t clean my home, I have to sit on a stool when using the kitchen. All to avoid my arches from getting numb. I'm in the US. Has anyone had something similar and is there anything else I can do? Certain exercises? Stretches? Other physical therapy? Do I need to not walk at all for a while? Anything. 

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Have you explored Tarsal Tunnel Syndrome?  Sounds like what I had and ended up getting surgery for it. 
  • Posted

I figured out what it was. I had to do a Facia release on my lower back. Basically a deep message. Cured it. Crazy thats all i needed and i was hobbling on a knee rover for months.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.