MY ATRIAL FIBRILLATION CAN GET CHAOTIC WHEN I LAY DOWN. DOES ANYBODY ELSE EXPERIENCE THIS?

Posted , 5 users are following.

AFIB GETS CHAOTIC IN MY HEART & HEAD WHEN I LAY DOWN.

Many times when I am laying down watching TV and my body is not mobile - I can experience TERRIBLE head spasms & chaotic blood flow which then causes terrible feelings in my head because of the erratic blood flow caused by my AFIB. My head feels JARRED because the AFIB in my heart has transferred all the chaos and crazy blood flow straight to my head.

To get back to normal I have to get up and straighten my body so as to get my blood flowing from my head to my legs. LAYING DOWN CAN CAUSE SUCH A CRAZY BLOODFLOW WHICH THEN CAUSES THESE TERRIBLE FEELINGS IN MY HEAD.

I can elaborate for many more paragraphs but I will cut it short. MY QUESTION IS: DOES YOUR AFIB AFFECT YOUR HEAD IN ANY WAY POSSIBLE AND GIVE YOU TERRIBLE FEELINGS IN THE BLOOD VESSELS OF YOUR HEAD? You don't have to be laying down.

ONE MORE THING:

I feel that if someone has AFIB over a long period of time - (Many years) the AFIB feelings which begin with irregular beats become transformed into other dreadful feelings WHICH I BELIEVE IS STRUCTURAL DAMAGE OVER TIME. The heart can take so much and structural changes set in.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi my AF seems to come on at night when I am laying down about 90% of the time.  I have no idea why but it does seem strange that it happens mostly at night.  I have had AF for about 5 years now and no medication improves it so it looks like I may have to have an ablation.

Sorry I can't be more help.

Gloria

• Posted

I'm an a/f sufferer too...persistent now! I've had these ,what I describe as head spikes lots of times. These have happened whilst I've been sitting relaxing,when I get up and sometimes when I put my head on the pillow. It's very scary because I don't know why! However ,I'd googled it...before I read your post....and meds can cause this. I was taking bisoprolol,then changed to atenolol. Since stopping these I've had no trouble with these spikes! I had them on and off for days ,intermittently, whilst weaning off the meds. 

Google this...electric shock feeling in head, head spikes....I think you will be reassured that there's nothing to worry about. However, I know how you feel. They are horrible ,frightening and scary because I thought I had some serious damage going on in the blood vessels in my head!.

On the a/ fib...read up the latest research by Medscape.the article is Legacy p1 It will do you the world of good. The heart can remodel itself if lifestyle changes are made. Just seen my doc this week. First time I've been listened to. I'm on lose weight campaign and then hopefully a bit more active. 

Also read that rate reducing meds are only effective for about 2 years! Who knows? Pity we don't have a definitive answer,but that's life! Let me know how you get on . Hope I've helped.

• Posted

Where did you read the bit about meds only effective fo 2 years? I've been on them longer than that and they are still effective.
    • Posted

I ve looked at all my google history and can't find it! I know it wasn't a rubbish report! However, I take all of the info and then make an informed decision about my A/ F and discuss it with my doc. I don't believe everything I read! 

There is now some controversy about blood thinners...but that's science for you. New ideas, new thoughts,new research and then we follow the overall advice. We have to trust those with the knowledge.

I'm pleased that your meds are continuing to do their job... You're lucky that you haven't had the trouble I've endured for 5/6 years from betablockers. I'm now feeling a whole lot better.

• Posted

If they really stop being effective afer 2 years there's a whole load of people out there in serious trouble! I wish these irresponsible reports would be kept off the internet where they just worry those affected.
    • Posted

Just for your info, I asked my cardiologist about rate reduing meds stopping working after 2 years and he said this is rubbish! They work indefinitely.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.