My Bartholin cyst story and tips on preventing flare-ups

Posted , 20 users are following.

I got my first Bartholin's cyst after I'd been experiencing mild recurring uti like symtopms. I love wearing tights and dresses, and spanx underneath my jeans/pants. Any way, I noticed soreness but ignored it at first, it only got worse. I thought my vagina was irritated due to the tampons but one day I felt a big lump inside of me and hurt a lot. I decided to look it up and found Phoebe's method. It didn't work for me at all, my cyst was way too deep. One new year's day I was supposed to fly to New York but that night I ended up in the ER due to the excruciating pain and distress. The doctor wasn't very helpful, he gave me an local anaesthetic(huge injection) without applying any topical anesthetic. He claimed that it wouldn't hurt because he was just injecting it into the cyst. It was the most painful, horrible, deathly, bone-chilling pain I'd ever experienced. I was screaming uncontrollably, it felt as if he had chopped of my labia with a meat cleaver. I still get chills just thinking about the pain. Long story short, they lanced my cyst and sent me home without a catheter. I was given bactrim but had a really bad reaction to it- meningitis like symtopms, fever & chills. They admitted me to the hospital the next day, thinking that I had some infection when I later concluded that it was just a reaction to the antibiotic. I was shivering uncontrollably and crying in pain. I had an intense migraine that wouldn't go away with percocet. I was put on iv morphine, had a cat scan, everything was normal. They wanted to perform a spinal tap, but fortunaley as soon as I stopped the anitbiotic my symptoms gradually subsided. BUT the cyst returned 3 days later. Thats when I went to an ob/gyn. She was very sweet and talked me out of my demands of general anesthesia. She promised she wouldn't hurt me and she did a great job of lancing it. It just felt like a little pinch here and there and some painful moments but nothing like that night at the ER. She put in a word catheter that stayed in for 13 days. It was very painful to walk but I got better in 2-3 weeks. Its been three months now and I am cyst-free. Last week I had some sweling and some irritation down there, I panicked at first but commited myself to stopping it from becoming infected. I started taking turmeric capsules (2, twice a day) and the irritation subsided, swelling went down. I've taking turmeric for a week now and everything seems to be OK for rightnow. I just wanted to share my experience in hopes that my story might be helpful to someone, always make sure that you go to an OB/GYN who knows what they are doing, someone who has experience with these issues. Others may not understand your problem and end up hurting you, or even worse, may damage your pudendal nerve. Taking cranberry pills helps to maintain a healthy urinary tract, preventing bacterial infections that I hypothesize, may be related to causing these cysts (Escherichia coli e.t.c.) Turmeric is a great anti-inflammatory and helps to reduce inflammation.(Inflammation of the gland can cause it to develop bacterial infections.) I am not a doctor, this is all based on my personal research and self-experimentation. I know how badly these nasty cysts hurt and how helpless and depressed a woman may feel. Don't loose hope, you are not alone. Keep working on taking care of your body from the inside. Good luck. 

3 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

It is so comforting knowing that there are other women out there with BC problems. I've been experiencing them since i was 17 pregnant with my firdt child. I am now 31. I have had 11 over these last 14yrs. They are so horrific. Mine usually become abscessed and almost the size of an orange now. I am healing from one as we speak. I got so tired of going to the gyny. That i let this one rupture on it's own. I was in excruciating pain, i felt like i was dying. I kept doing very hot baths and hot rice socks until it finally drained. I went to the gyny the day after and they prescribed me bactrim, it makes me feel so sick. Thankfully i only have 2 days left of it. I am so scared to ever have sex again. It's so depressing anymore

• Posted

Hello Ayleah. I must say that it's comforting to know that i am not the only one on this. I get these cysts every 4 months and they are excruciating. Its been 11 years and they don't stop coming. I learned to just let it pop on its own but it gets so bad I give up sometimes. I've gone to the hospital numerous times and they just iv me with antibiotics and pain killers. I stopped going. I'm currently going through a lot of pain as I wrote this because I have one. Being that I'm 8 months pregnant I can't tale any medication. I'm in so much pain. I do know that the only way for these cysts to stop coming back is by going through surgery and taking the glands out but that means I will produce less juices. At this point i really don't care though!

• Posted

Omg you are an absolute goddess. Thank you for this, I like to think I’m not alone with these... I had one that turned into an abscess the size of probably a tennis ball, it was the most painful thing I think I have ever been through in my entire life. They would not lance mine because they said the risk of one coming back would be lessened if it burst on its own.. I was sent home with antibiotics for the colitis that had formed around it and was told to do sitz baths as many times a day as I could. Eventually the thing popped and it was so disgusting but so satisfying just to be able to walk again. Anyway, since then it’s been a few months and I keep getting a tiny bump down there that comes and goes. I’m paranoid about it coming back full swing, so I still do the sitz baths when I feel it and it goes away. I. Wondering if any of you ladies know what it means when it’s hard compared to when it’s soft? Also, have any of you noticed a change in these while you are on your period? Do tango s irritate it? One more, have any of you noticed a change in the frequency when you have sex? I’m wondering if this has anything to do with the fluid that is released while having sex, maybe more would lead to less build up? Just thinking out loud.

im definitely going to be taking turmeric to make sure my insides can help the swelling. love to all you ladies!! We are not alone!

• Posted

I am so relieved but heart broken at the same time to know that I am not the only one who suffers from this.  I have had BC for the last three or four years.  I didn't get them until I turned 30 and after I had my tubes tied.  They would come every month right before my cycle. Now it seems as though they are coming every other month exactly a week before my cycle. It is ruining my life. I believe that mine is hormonal my doctor will not hear it I'm just a disgusting person. It just has to come from an STD. I am so sick of them giving my antibiotics that aren't doing anything. She has taken cultures and they have come back negative for bacteria.  I don't want to remove the gland because I Am scared.  I have had plenty of surgeries, and they keep coming back.  The recovery time to remove the gland is long and I Have read the horror stories. I don't think my children will allow me to sit out for 4 to 6 weeks. But I am at my wits ends because I am tired of suffering.  And it seems as no one understands. I have tired baths, tea tree, the silica pills, turmeric, .  It seems as though everytime I over indulge in sweets, ice cream, coffee ( which I crave every other month before my cycle). I try salad and clean eating but I don't want to lose weight. HELP SOMEONE 

• Posted

Today is 9/16 & I just got home from the hospital for Bartholin gland removal surgery. I am 21 years old & about 2 weeks ago I felt a small lump , the next day it was the size of a golf ball & painful. I went to the ER & had it drained. But it sealed right back up & got even bigger & worse. I went to see an Obgyn, she drained it & put a catheter in that is suppose to stay for 4-6weeks. It fell out the NEXT day. From then on I was in excruciating pain. I couldn’t even move. Cried all night & all day , I went back to see the Obgyn & she immediately sent me to the ER. My Bartholin Cyst had made another cyst in my vulva & it was all so swollen & hard. It was the size of an avocado, maybe bigger. They told me I would need to have surgery. They kept me on good pain meds & the next day I went in for surgery for a little over 2 hours where to doctor removed the gland completely. I have just gotten home & am now recovering. I have not had any pain since surgery & I am walking just fine. I finally got to look at my vagina since surgery, it looks different. But I rather look a little different then deal with these awful cysts. 

• Posted

I believe you on turmeric, that is a great tip

mine got inflamed and i put one day and night mixture of turmeric and calamine lotion and witch hazel and tea tree oil.

another day and night i kept putting on PRID homeopathic drawing salve ( bought at walmart for 5 dollars) which has active ingredient ICHTHAMMOL, which i know works very well in drawing out infections and pimples and deep pimples and it works on this also.

last night after those 2 things my barholyn gland opened up and drained out.

so i do believe you that .. turmeric has worked for you. But i also believe in PRID DRAWING SALVE CREAM.. WITH ICHTHAMMOL, also called Black pomade or Crna mast.. because i know it from my childhood. 

i feel more empowered now to deal with this in the future. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.