my bartholin's cyst story..help! don't know where to go from here..

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi all!

It all started a month or two ago when i noticed a small lump, but i didn't do anything about it until it started to grow a few weeks later. The doctor confirmed it as a BC, but only gave me three options really...do nothing, drainage with catheter, or removal of the entire gland. Upset witht the options I decided to wait it out and try some home remedies. Nothing worked, tea tree oil, silica pills, phoebes cure, nothing.

Eventually it got so large and painful i went in to have it drained in the office. The WORST pain i've ever experienced. The local numbing shots were bad enough, but they didn't work well enough and i felt everything. so awful. I never want to do it under local anthesia again.  She didn't put a catheter in because it wouldn't drain all the way, so she basically just sent me home with a huge bloody open wound on my vagina. I couldn't walk and had to take some time off work. Since it wasn't done fully draining, she encouraged me to try to get it to drain at home on my own with baths and also perscribed me some antibiotics. It eventually did drain all the way after a week or so and i could finally walk normal after about 4 days, however it has only been a little over two weeks and the wound where she cut is almost fully healed over and now i can feel the cyst is already returning and i'm at a loss. 

I do not want to go through the pain of getting it drained in office again, but i don't really know what other options i have. I've contemplated the surgery but I have a busy life as a full time student and working part time so i can't afford to be out for very long. Has anyone had a successful marsupilization/ gland removal? If so, how long is the recovery time? My doctor keeps saying that removing the glad entirely is a more long term solution than just the cyst, but it sounds so intense and i am only 20. Really bummed out by the way these are treated rolleyes

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

I would get a second opinion before removing the  entire gland.  I believe it is a really invasive surgery and take a long time to recover from.  You could consider a Marsupialization which might be a better option at this point and isn’t as hard to recover from. I am still recovering from one but it was no big deal to go through so far!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.