My Bipolar Disorder Appears to have Left

Posted , 5 users are following.

I have not had an episode of Bipikar Disorder in over 20 years. Prior to that I used to cut myself and have my stomach regularly pumped from suicide attempts. Ive spent years in counseling, taking my meds and group therapy. But I was always told that it was always there and could come back at any time. Anyone else with a similar success story?

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

My life is pretty stable I have a healthy 7 year relationship and we have a daughter together but I still have episodes nothing compared to what it was like before . Before it was admissions to mental hospitals , detained , overdoses , cutting , drinking, over spending, doing outrageous things, dangerous things ,now it's just flares of ups and downs,I can control them, im on medication and it saved me . I also have 1 to 1 home therapy treatment once a week and I also do CBT and psychology therapy .

• Posted

Sounds great. I'm 65 and it's a known fact that BP tends to run out of steam over time, especially getting high. Depression becomes that which one has to look out for. So far so good. Like I said I still check in regularly with my PDoc and there's really nothing much to talk about. Even my major back surgery recently was not a big deal mentally or emotionally.

• Posted

Hi Stacey, can i ask you how did u manage with Bipolar and pregnacy? Were u out of meds while pregnant? Im on Seroquel, depakine and eglonyl, and doctors do not gave me a proper answer for pregnacy, as they dont have studies on how could meds affect the baby! Its really confusing me about having or not a baby.Can you give me some more details about ?thank you
    • Posted

I came off medication to have a baby and then restarted some of my medication at 28 weeks and then all of my medication was restarted the day my daughter was born. I take lithium , toprimate and chlorpromazine.
  • Posted

Since agreeing to take appropriate meds, I have not been hypomanic, manic or depressed for 7 years. I too have done therapy, stay part of a BP In Order group (weekly online courses). I too sometimes wait for the other shoe to drop, but so far so good.  I hope that you a clear of the BP monster. Are you still on a mood stabilizer?  I wish you the best of what life has to offer.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.