My Bipolar TURP Experience 4/5/19 - updated 4/10/19

Posted , 8 users are following.

Last 24 hours were at first discouraging, then encouraging. Yesterday, after my update, my urine flow appeared to be slowing, and I was becoming increasingly concerned that I would go into some amount of retention. I knew that my prostate was still swollen from the TURP, but what I didn't know was whether this swelling would continue to increase, level off, or begin to decrease. Yesterday evening, the flow was definitely less than 24 hours before. However, a few hours after going to bed I got up and my stream was stronger than I have felt in some time.

As has been the case for almost a year, I was getting up about every hour to hour and a half and urinating into my measuring beaker. But, last night the totals were bigger, the stream stronger, and I was able to calm my bladder enough to get back to sleep in a shorter period of time. Before my operation last Friday it was taking me at least 10-20 minutes to attempt to empty my bladder, or at least drain it down so that I could get back to sleep. On a few occasions it took an hour of repeated trying - little squirts over and over again. But last night this was only taking 5-10 minutes with a few longer times, but basically an improvement. Once I got back into bed the little tickling feeling in my bladder was gone and I was able to get back to sleep again. I would say this was a huge improvement, but still has a long way to go.

Getting up every hour to hour and a half is not the way anyone wants to spend their night, and I am looking forward to longer sleep stretches as I heal from this operation.

My urine test strips continue to show blood in the urine, although the color doesn't show any pink anymore. Having the catheter out is a big improvement in my quality of life. I do understand that it's going to take a few more weeks for the healing process to conclude, but I would say that last night was encouraging and I am very pleased I decided to have this procedure on Friday. At that point, I was getting progressively more blocked up, but now I can tell I am slowly beginning to improve. It's both a physical and psychological boost.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

might have had a clot or scab in the way and it moved. sounds great. hope you continue to improve.

• Posted

Thanks for keeping us updated. Really appreciate it. Glad you have seen some improvements..Its going take time dont rush it.

jim

• Posted

Thanks for keeping us updated. Really appreciate it. Glad you have seen some improvements..Its going take time dont rush it.

jim

• Posted

Jim,

Before the operation I worked out on my elliptical trainer for an hour 3x per week. Today I got back on and did 10 minutes, and that was enough! I think I'm a bit weak from the blood loss - been taking iron supplement. Anyway, I am going to take my time getting back to where I was and not rush things. Thanks for your comment.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.