My Bipolar TURP Experience 4/5/19 - updated 4/7/19

Posted , 3 users are following.

I am now two days out from my Bipolar TURP. Prior to the operation I was getting up at night every hour and spent about 10-20 min in the bathroom each time trying to clear my bladder, so that I could get back to sleep. Last night, I was able to sleep a solid 5 hours, before waking up! That is the longest I have slept in one stretch for years. My leg bag was almost full and I measured the amount of urine by draining the bag into a measuring beaker - about 750cc at 5am this morning. This was the most sleep at one stretch I have had in years, and the most I have every emptied into my beaker.

After I finally woke up this morning I tested my urine with a Chemstrip test strip, as I have been doing regularly in recent days, and the Leukocytes are up and indicating an infection. I can't say this was unexpected. I am also feeling a bit "spaced out" this morning. This is possibly because I haven't slept a straight five hours in years. My head is clearing a bit now and I am able to post here.

I am now two days and a few hours out from my Bipolar TURP. Here's what I am currently experiencing:

  1. my sleep has improved dramatically
  2. my urine test strips now indicate a possible infection (not unexpected)
  3. I am feeling a little "spaced out"
  4. I am adjusting well to the catheter tube, no longer bleeding, and getting used to it
  5. I am still feeling a bit tired and "spaced out" - a long way from being back to my "old self"
  6. my urine color continues to look less red and more yellow, but my test strips still indicate high levels of hemoglobin. On the package yellow indicates negative, but my color is still dark green, so still blood in urine. This has not gone down in two days

I have been adding more olive oil to my two daily blender drinks and this has cured my constipation (a common side effect of surgery, right?)

Tomorrow (Monday) I will deflate the Foley catheter myself, remove it (have done this before) then I have an appointment with my urologist at 2pm. I have a note in to him to have a lab urine test to find out if I do have an infection as my test strips indicate. I might need an antibiotic. Once I remove the catheter I am hoping I can urinate on my own. Otherwise, a nurse will have to reinsert a new one - not looking forward to that - can be quite painful.

Best possible outcome tomorrow would be that I will remove the Foley and be able to urinate on my own, the urine test strips show the Leukocytes going down, and hemoglobin in urine going down. Don't know what will happen. Recovering from any operation/procedure is always a challenge.

0 likes, 5 replies

Report / Delete

5 Replies

  • Posted

    good to hear someone had a positive outcome with a TURP procedure !

    i now believe i had a incompetent urologist , i had 2 months of pure hell , even considered ending it all .

    my french 26 foley was in for 5 week and now i learn thats unheard of , live and learn i guess .

    my surgery was last june and now im having serious retention problems and UTI CONSTANTLY .

    i hope you continue to improve my friend !

    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted


      Very sorry to hear about your situation. I do hope you can get this under control, get the UTI cleared, and find out why you are still having retention. It's possible the retention isn't your prostate but might have to do with the bladder. I'm sure you are way ahead of me on this...

      My very best,


      Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

    Once I remove the catheter I am hoping I can urinate on my own.

    Remember when you remove the catheter, your bladder will be empty so don't expect to pee right away. Before my catheter was removed (in the hospital), the nurse squirted 300cc into my bladder and it was 1 1/2 hours before I peed and then it was only about 60cc as I recall. You're still likely to be swollen so don't expect a strong stream right away.

    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted


      I will be calling the uro office tomorrow and tell them I don't want to take the Foley out at 9am, but would rather wait until a couple of hours before my 2pm appointment. I am just not comfortable waiting 5 hours before going into the office in case I am unable to void.


      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

      Better to ask forgiveness than permission! I wouldn't call them, I'd just take it out when you feel comfortable doing so. I would suggest drinking a full glass of water an hour or so before your appointment. Then you should be able to fill the specimen cup and more!

      Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up