My Bipolar TURP Experience 4/5/19 - updated 4/8/19

Posted , 6 users are following.

A brief report this morning.

Overnight had a few little tickles in my bladder - likely minor spasms. Briefly irritating, went away.

I will remove my Foley catheter this morning and have a 2pm appointment at the urology office. If I am unable to void they will have to put in another Foley -painful, but necessary. The Foley that I have in now is a 20fr with double eyelets - necessary to drain the little pieces of prostate that are still washing out with my urine - noticed some in my leg bag last night.

When they do a TURP they send the prostate tissue to the lab for analysis to see if there is any cancer. My report just came in negative. So, the radiation treatment I had in 2014 worked!! PSA has been 0.1 to 0.2 steady for about 4-5 years.

Constipation issue solved by drinking more olive oil. With Foley, can't sit down on the toilet seat -

when I tried this previously was very painful and caused bleeding, but able to stand, and olive oil provides lubrication. If you get constipated, this works!!

About self removing Foley - two ways to do this. First way is to use a little syringe and draw the saline solution out of the little balloon that is keeping the Foley in the bladder. An easier way is to get in the shower and cut the little tube rather than sucking the saline out with the syringe. Then, when the solution has drained, gently ease the Foley out and run warm water over the abdomen - did this before and the removal doesn't hurt, only tickles.

Finally, my urine dip stick was showing leukocytes present but note from urologist said this is because of the inflammation from the operation and would continue for weeks or month, so not an issue. Was concerned about a UTI. Apparently, all is still OK.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Glad to hear you don't have PCa! Interesting comment regarding defecating. I never thought about it or heard anything regarding defecating standing up.

Your uro says that LEU will be increased due to the operation. So, I guess that means he won't give you antibiotics unless you get a fever. Other symptoms regarding frequency of urination in small amounts as an indication of an infection might not be a good indicator because of the prostate operation. I remember when I had a UTI six months ago, my muscles ached and I felt sore all over.

• Posted

Urine dip stick shows minor rise in leukocytes and minor rise in protein, indicating kidneys under some stress. I have to remember I just had an operation, so not to expect everything to be perfect. No symptoms of a UTI other than the leukocytes. Have been taking d-mannose and vitamin C powder mixed in a little water and do not notice any UTI like issues - no fever, no pain.

• Posted

tom, now you tell me !

i had anurse take my french 26 out and let me tell i screamed in pain , she didnt even give me a warning after she deflated the balloon !

YANK !! ouch !!!!!

what was worse was my SUPER pubic cath, i nearly passed out from the pain .

glad youre ahead of me in all this pain !

no pain is good

• Posted

Minor update: I did remove the Foley in the shower this morning

• used the syringe to draw out the saline solution, first 10ml, then another 15ml. I began to gently pull the tube out, but instead of a tickle, this time there was some real pain - had to slow down and be very careful. After the tube was out I was able to get a close look at it. The part where the balloon expands was rough, like sand paper, and because this was 20fr, it really irritated the urethral lining, but at least I was doing it and in control. Actually, not that bad once it was over. That was at 11:15am.

Went to my urology appointment at 2pm. Went into the bathroom and did all I could to empty my bladder. After, nurse measured my PVR - 93ml, better than I was expecting. Prior to operation it was 200ml. On the bad side, the rate of urine flow was lower than I was expecting, about 1/2 the rate when the Foley was in place. My uro said to give this a little time, another couple of hours. If I get into trouble he said he would be at the office for a few hours. I came home, and urinated into my measuring beaker. This time, the rate of flow was 137.5ml/hour - actually a bit better than with the Foley. It took several attempts to get this out, but I believe I will be OK. I was concerned that I wouldn't be able to clear my bladder and the PVR would build up to intolerable levels, and I would have to go to the ER, as I did many years ago.

4pm now - I believe I will be OK. My uro was right. I was very concerned that he would have to put in another Foley, and with my urethra sensitive from this morning's removal, I was expecting a very painful experience. He was right to suggest I wait this out. So far, so good!

• Posted

Also, that flowrate of 137.5 mL per hour seems unrealistic. At 0.038 mL/sec, that is probably slower than a dripping faucet. Was it maximum flowrate that was measured? That's what urodynamics usually measures.

• Posted

Tom: Here's something I did when I had my bad UTI infection.

I slept in a different room from my wife and set my iPhone to wake me up about every 75 to 90 minutes. I did this because I was very concerned I would wake up in retention and then need to rush to the ER. By forcing a wakeup, I could attempt to urinate and assess the situation hopefully in a more calm manner. If there was a problem, I would hopefully have more time to make a decision rather than rushing around in a panic. However, I had learned to self cath and would have done that first (but since I had only done self cathing once, I wanted to make sure I wouldn't be in major distress because this might have caused me to botch the self cathing and possibly injure myself). Sure, you won't sleep well, but for me it was more important to not wind up in retention. Just a thought.

• Posted

I have been sleeping in the guest bedroom for about two weeks now so I won't be disturbing my wife with my frequent bathroom trips. As my retention issues got worse I was waking up naturally every hour to hour and a half anyway, so last night I was able to monitor the urine flow through the night - made it! Urine amount about the same as with Foley. Will post a new update here soon.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.