My bladder is driving me crazy!

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi,

For officially about 2 weeks now, I have been experiencing some issues with my bladder that I am truly puzzled over! I got home from my college class one day and I had to urinate. So, I did. I was able to normally and my pee was clear.  After I went though, I felt this uncomfortable sensation in my urethra. It felt like a burning pressure and I could feel it in my bladder. This sensation would not go away and it was frankly very uncomfortable. So, I automatically assumed it must be a UTI. I took a pyridium tablet to help with this sensation and drank tons of water. 

The pyridium thankfully helped to make this sensation not as unnerving and I was able to relax the rest of the night. On the days following that, I was able to urinate completely normal without having that sensation. So, I figured I'd be okay until I go to the doctor  that Monday to get tested for a UTI. Monday rolled around then and I got into my doctor. I took a urine test and eventually got the results back. I tested completely negative for a UTI.

Well, ever since that appointment, I've had that sensation in my urethra on and off. I also was having some very uncomfortable bladder spasms yesterday. They felt like a mixture of gas pains and period cramps that spread around to the area of my back that's below my buttocks. These pains also made me feel nauseous. This pain seemed to alleviate I noticed when I had some magnesium in some orange juice. I was able to urinate normally the whole day too and my urine was clear.

I notice that this sensation in my urethra and bladder(that pressure and burning) starts after I urinate first thing in the morning. It will go on for about 30 minutes before dieing down. Until it dies down though, it's so uncomfortable. 

I should say that I had a kidney stone I passed in 2016. After passing this though, I seemed to have urinary symptoms that doctors suggested were similar to those of a patient that has interstitial cystitis. I have yet to be referred to an actual urogynecologist though like my doctor has told me he will refer me to. 

I guess what I am asking is: Does this sound like symptoms typical of someone who has interstital cystitis or could it be something else? I have no urgency or frequency  like that of someone who has interstital cystitis. I have heard though it's possible for patients who have IC to not have those symptoms, but to have other symptoms like feeling as if their bladder is still full after emptying it. I have had that sort of symptom before and tested negative for an UTI each time.

I have never been sexually active so I don't think at all this could be an STI or something. Does anyone have any suggestions or what it could be? Do you also have any advice on how to alleviate these symptoms?

It's Memorial day in the USA tomorrow so I won't be able to see my doctor until Tuesday sadly to talk to him about these symptoms.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I also should say.. I had these symptoms start up on a Thursday and I went to the doctors on Monday. So, I didn't go too soon to the doctor's to check for a UTI.

• Posted

I have been dealing with something similar. After I urinate, I get a weird sensation. Not pain but uncomfortable. It last a few minutes afterward. I was tested negative for a UTI. I also have frequency. I am petrified it is interstitial cystitis. I went for a urodynamics test and next is the cystoscopy. I also have fibroids which causes similar symptoms. I am not sure what I have but I am worried. Please let me know what yours turns out to be. I dont think you have IC bc you would have pain, urgency, and frequency.
  • Posted

You need a scan to see if you have any more stones and if yr Doctor is using the same tests they do in the UK for UTIs, it is useless, as it often misses infections. I suggest you ask for a more in-depth urine test and see if they can find anything. Look up info from CUTIC. We see a Professor in London, but I am sure if you goggle you will find someone in the States. They need to have studied in-depth UTI's and there is a lot of new research on this. Best if luck.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.