my blood pressure was high and now i think it's low?

Posted , 4 users are following.

femele/22 years old

My blood pressure was about 150 before a month and all my blood test was normal so my doctor prescribed Biscor 5mg twice a day and Amlocard 5mg twice a day too.

3 weaks later my blood pressure was 126 over 66 but he insists that i keep on drugs so after two weaks (last night) i didn't feel well, I walked out from the bathroom and i had blurred vision, hearing loss and then i fainted.

after laying down for 5 minutes I felt better.

so i don't know what to do, and what happens to me? is my blood pressure become low? should i stop taking the drugs? my doctor in vacation for this week and i'm so scared

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

My initial thoughts are that the fainting and feeling unwell are related to the BP falling lower than what it should be. When you have a bath or shower, the blood pressure drops as a general rule. So, where as you had quite a normal BP before the bath, this would have dropped to a level that sufficient oxygen did not reach your brain.

This is just a momentary situation and rectifies it self after rest. 

Your GP is on holiday only for a week and you can either wait to see him in a weeks time or see another Dr.  in his practice. Either way, I would not stop taking the medication. Adjusting the dosage is a scientific process. Your GP will record the findings and act accordingly. 

These are my views and observations as I suffer from similar episodes too and it is my opinion as a patient.

• Posted

Amy, is there not another doctor in your practice that you can see to get a second opinion.  If your fainting episode is an unusual occurrence for you, then you should see a doctor for adviice anyway - if it is a rare experience then it does point to your blood pressure being too low.  In the meantime, have you got your own blood pressure monitoring device?  If not, then do get one so that you can take your blood pressure at home - a few times a day initially just to get an average reading through the day to see what is going on.  If you are in the UK, some high street pharmacies will take your blood pressure on request.  
  • Posted

amy35912...I agree with both seangreen420 & Mrs.O-UKSurrey. It also sounds to me like  your bp is dropping too low. What you describe are classic signs, but as mrs. O Stated, if the fainting is an unusual occurrence for you, then by all means see a Dr. 

Quite frankly, I don't understand just why your doctor prescribed bp meds in the first place. You did say that just over a month ago, your bp was at about 150. I will assume this is the upper number. If this was a one off, then I would guess it was far too early to take meds. If this were after a few visits, then I could understand it more. Was 'white coat' ever mentioned? A lot of people, including myself become rather nervous just being in the Dr. office, which of course boots the readings. Drs are very very well aware of this. 

Also, you said that after just 3 weeks, your bp was down to 126/66..which is very good, but be sure to watch the diastolic number (lower). 

Do not stop the meds..but do consult a dr.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.