My body bursts into hives if I don’t take an allergy pill every 24 hours

Posted , 4 users are following.

I've been taking allergy pill brands Allertec and Zertec (Cetirizine) for about 6 years every single day every 24 hours. If I miss even an hour my body bursts into unbearable hives i can barely handle for 3 hours. I went to doctors to check if i was allergic to anything, only thing that came out was a slight allergy to peanuts. I have changed my diet, the fabric of my sheets, the detergent, my soaps and shampoos, its been years and i am starting yo believe maybe my body developed a dependency. I just tried using a different allergy medication that is Diphenhydramine. in hopes that counter attacks my awful hives? and nothing. pleas@e can someone help me or give me an explanation to why this is happening

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Edited

I was really interested to read your experience of taking Cetirizine Tablets. I also had a problem taking them last summer.

I have an acute reaction if stung by a wasp and so my GP always recommends taking a antihistamine during the summer months when they are most active. Last year I took Cetirizine Tablets for approximately four months from the beginning of June until the end of September. All was fine while taking them but when I stopped, after a few days I started to itch very badly. I could not understand this and did not connect it to stopping the tablets, but I became very concerned and did quite a bit of research as to what was going on.

I had a blood test done and saw my GP, but still came to no real conclusion.

I then began looking at various forums online about taking antihistamines long term, and sure enough there are many people who have suffered the same effect. I think GP's are reluctant to mention this as a side effect as its a cheap and effective treatment for lots of people.

I managed to live with the itching and it gradually eased until it eventually stopped but it did take a few weeks, you do have to persevere with it.

I can only suggest that you see your GP who might suggest a reducing dosage strategy, but please have a look online at other suggestions as well, from other people that have suffered.

Really hope this helps you.

• Edited

I'm so sorry you are experiencing this. It is so horrible.

I also had the same experience. I developed Urticaria 4 years ago and managed it with Zirtec as are you for a year and a half. As we wanted to start a family I had to try and stop taking them and it was horrific. It is as though when the dose wears off it intensifies the pain of the rash symptoms.

I strongly believe Zirtec is addictive and your body becomes dependent. I had to wean myself off by using Piriton. It as an older and less 'high tech' pharmaceutical. It is longer out on market and seems to have a slightly less aggressive impact on the body. I switched from Zirtec to these and slowly weaned off piriton using half tablets etc. I am not going to lie - it was uncomfortable at times and I thought I was going to rip my skin off...but push through and take cold showers etc.

Now I take nothing - I still have Urticaria and hives - but they are nowhere near as intense or uncomfortable. They come and go of their own accord and just use a nice moisturiser when they start flaring up.

In terms of trying to 'cure' myself from Urticaria - Unfortunately I haven't found anything. I reduced stress, started yoga, got laser treatment on sinuses under care of an immunologist, took Chinese herbs and medicinal mushrooms, did various ridiculous diets - No improvement.

However - I am much more comfortable in my own skin and can manage on a daily basis without any major issues - and I attribute that to staying away from anti-histamines!!!

Hope this helps!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.