my bowels don’t function normally, what’s wrong with me?

Posted , 6 users are following.

For a year now I’ve been experiencing a series of bowel problems. It started off as mild bloating which progressed to severe bloating but it was manageable back then by just farting. My symptoms began to get worse about every couple of weeks or so (when my symptoms first started) they would change slightly and get worse. I started experiencing VERY bad wind that seemed to come from nowhere and this wind would cause me to feel nauseous if it wasn’t released and it would make very loud audible noises. Beginning of this year was when I started getting diarrhoea and stomach cramps and I felt like all my bowel movements were incomplete. I went to the doctors a few times and they diagnosed me with IBS and I was given peppermint oil capsules, medberine and buscopan, non of which worked for me. I started taking co-codomal which got rid of my symptoms for while but they soon returned. I was constantly in and out of the GP and I was put on a course of antibiotics because I had camphlorbactor. The antibiotics really helped me out at first and got rid of all my symptoms but they soon came back. A few months later i was given more antibiotics because my stool sample contained hpylori but this time it didn’t help my symptoms. I thought at first that my symptoms where caused by a small intestine bacterial overgrowth but the antibiotics didn’t even remotely help ease my symptoms. I also felt my discomfort right under my rib cage in my stomach. a pulsing sensation came from there and pressing down on that area was so uncomfortable. I began to feel a burning/acidic feeling in my stomach and extremely loud hunger noises and a constant pressure on my stomach. These symptoms happened alongside my abdominal symptoms. I feel bubbles of gas popping all over in random places in my abdomen and after dinner, I usually get weird growls from my stomach and abdomen and sometimes I get a tingling sensation at the top of my neck caused by my stomach. The noises and discomfort I feel are so unbearable. The only thing that helps me with time he pain is codine and Imodium helps with the diarrhoea. I get this feeling everyday and I don’t know what’s wrong with me. I need to poo every morning after I eat breakfast around 30mins after breakfast and it’s so forceful. I can’t keep it in because it’s so uncomfortable and loud if I try to do that. I also get hungry after I poo. I’m forever feeling gas in my intestines and rumbling as well as discomfort. I don’t know what’s it’s like to not feel constant discomfort. I don’t know what’s wrong with my bowels. The doctors have been telling me it ibs. Other people say it could be cancer/Crohns. I’ve has various blood test and they never indicated any inflammation but I was anaemia. I’m supposed to have an endoscope and colonscope in a few weeks it I’m so worried they won’t find out what’s wrong with me. my condition is debilitating and unbearable to deal with. I’m always missing school because I don’t want to deal with the embarrassment of noises and the discomfort. I’m unable to focus because of it. 

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

It could be IBS; stomach bugs can trigger it.  It is also possible that your stomach is still sensitive after the h pylori and antibiotics.  This can take time to heal.  Your endoscopy will show whether you still have h pylori.

Do not worry if nothing shows up; this would be good news for you because it would mean it is not serious. If everything is clear, IBS can be diagnosed.  In someone of school age, it is more likely to be something like IBS.  It is very common in young people.

• Posted

Hi Rej

You may ned to change your eating habits what is your diet like?...

• Posted

I’ll admit I don’t eat the healthiest food but needless to say I get symtoms regardless of whether or not I eat. I don’t have much of an appetite. I really only ever eat because of the indigestion I get. If I don’t eat anything my stonach growls and I get a burning sensation so I have to eat every 4 or so hours to keep that calm. Only problem is, i usually have diarrhoea after eating so i end up hungry after an hour. 
    • Posted

Hi Rej

As suggested by another firum member you need to be checked fir HPylori..a stomach bacteria that lives in the gut and duodenum and causes all the symptoms you are presenting with..go to your doc and ask him/her to carry out a stool test or breath test a blood test does not always show the HP bacteria..if you do have HP it can be treated with antibiotics...best wishes..

• Posted

Thank you I will ask my doctor to do the test again
  • Posted

I think I’ve already replied to your other post. You mention you had h pylori and campylobacter. These are quite nasty bacteria and even though they are gone, you can suffer the after effects for a long time afterwards as the gut tries to get back to normal. Have you tried acidophilus to repair your gut’s helpful bacteria? I have heard keffir is also excellent for the gut. Have you considered seeing a naturopath/herbalist/nutritionist who could give you help with supplements and diet? I have also found Bowen therapy to be helpful with bowel issues and there are even massage techniques you can learn to do on yourself to help digestion. Also trying to relax and stay calm, plenty of water, rest and gentle exercise. Pilates or yoga are good for the digestion. You will improve over time. The gut can be a real mystery, as my gastroenterologist said to me. But you won’t be like this forever. Best wishes.
    • Posted

Thank you so much for your encouraging words.  I’m just tired of suffering, especially since it’s affecting my education with all the appointment I have to investigate what wrong with me and I don’t attend sixth form  frequently anymore because I get so scared of my symptoms flaring up. It affect me every day and some days it’s worse. I have to run out of class to have diarrhoea and it’s affecting my ability to concentrate as I’m always waiting for class to end so I don’t have to endure the embarrassment of my condition any longer. The dicomfort I face is unbearable and so distracting. I just want it to end. I don’t remember what it’s like to go a whole day symptom free. 
  • Posted

Did you ever have your gallbladder checked? You might have gallstones.
    • Posted

Ive not had my gallbladder checked. Could it cause the symptoms I have?

• Posted

have the endoscope and colonscope has soon as possible, they will probably be able to determine exactly what is going on from those two tests, and be able to treat it, I hope you feel better soon...

• Posted

Thank you. My appointment is in a few weeks so that should confirm everything

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.