My boyfriend has relapse for the fourth time his longest time was 5 years sober he started drinking

Posted , 7 users are following.

9 mos ago.....getting worse everyday he now drinking 20-25 beers a day. We had one visit to the hospital about 6 weeks ago for gastrointestinal problems. He now wants to quit again so we are going to his GP on Thursday and getting a Rx for Librium I'm worried should I stay home with him and what will happen I wasn't with him the last 3times

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Has he detoxed himself before or is this the first time?
  • Posted

I would like to think that if the doctor thought he was in any danger detoxing at home, on his own, then he simply wouldn't issue the prescription unless he does have supervision with him during the detox.

• Posted

HI Deb..he looks very sick and affected by this. A tricky situation for certain and not certain how to help you...sorry...Robin
  • Posted

I unfortunately have detoxed many times alone.

I don't know if you are still here deb..and I could be typing this for nothing..lol

However, I don't think you would have had to stay home, but I think if he is really sick of being sick and wants to detox and his Dr. gives or gave him medicine than he would be ok.

A helpful thing you could have done for him was prepare soups (or have Ramen noodles around), get some vitamin drinks (like Ensure for meals). I know I never feel like eating the first couple of days after a long drinking binge...and a couple of bites prepared for me was helpful.

Other than that he has to go thru his H*LL by himself...sleep and pray that it passes quickly.

Bad binges usually take me 5-6 days to start functioning normally (getting dressed, eating better, taking showers, driving car).  

So, its been 7 days since your post, what did you do and how is he?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.