My boyfriend is suffering a lot and we don't know what to do. Please help.

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi.

My boyfriend was diagnosed with Anxiety early May 2016. Since then, he has been taking anti-depressants (started with Desvesflaxine, Etizolam etc.) and has also seen a psychologist for a few sessions of CBT. Recently, we have changed our doctor who has now diagnosed him with Depressive Syndrome and has prescribed my boyfriend Paxil (started with 12.5 mg and is now on 25 mg).

But unfortunately, there has been no improvement.

He complains of extreme fatigue, chest pains, tingling sensations, dull vision but flashy lights, dreamlike state, nights being worse than days, sad-dull mood, coordination and concentration issues, lack of interest in activities he used to earlier enjoy, memory loss, sleep problems, he often gets lost in his own thoughts and spaces out, also his rage is getting worse day by day. 

He has this phobia that 'he has hit someone from his car' which wasn't there before. He obsesses over things and thoughts too much lately.

What we want to know and understand is, is this just depression, OCD, and anxiety or can it be something else as well?

Do you or anyone you know suffers and experiences similar symptoms?

How long can this take and how long will it take to find the right medicine that works for him?

Most importantly, what are the other ways to treat his condition? We have tried medicines and CBT but nothing is really working out for him. 

Please suggest and help as you can. We are very distressed and we are losing hope with every passing day. Do answer the questions and let us know what you think.

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

How long has he given each anti depressant to work (how many weeks with each)?
  • Posted

Yes your boyfriend has full stage Anxiety and depression. Those thoughts he gets are called Intrusive Thoughts and they can make your mind think of the most possible worst things and they just bother you all the time. First you have to understand that Ant-Depressents take 4-6 weeks to even start working and sometimes you have very bad side effects which are worst then the symptoms and then you have to decide if you need to change the Med, it's not down to a science so everyone is different, it will take time. Now some here will disagree with me 100% of the time but this is what helped me 8 years ago to control the same issues he is having, I was put on Xanax to help control the Anxiety and it worked wonders, takes 30 minutes to kick in and he will feel better "But use this drug with caution" and only take what the DR prescribes. Years later I still use it but only when needed, I have a chemical inbalance and still need Meds. Lack of sleep is not good, I take Seroquel at night and sleep like a baby and it helps with Anxiety too, you just have to find the right dose. This is how I controlled the worst thing that ever happened to me ever and spent four days in the hospital and left 50% better. Good luck.

• Posted

Thanks, I went to hell 8 years ago and I am living proof that you can beat this or in my case control it.
    • Posted

I have been there myself and on meds and doing great for 9 years. I will be on med for ever,and I don't care,just want to stay well. So glad for you. xxo

• Posted

Thank you so much, some here have lately attacked me for how I made it through what so many here are going through. I was there, I went to a place where they lock the doors, you are basically in jail and I wanted to be there and get help and I did. I thought there was no way out and wanted to just die but I didn't. I will keep posting how I did it and if they don't like my advice(These attackers) then have me banned, I willl start my own Message Board for those who want my advice. God Bless  

• Posted

We are not alone, many take Meds for one thing or another for their whole lifes, so what and who cares, the Meds control the issue and we both feel a million times better!!!
  • Posted

Yes,I have suffered with anxiety for ever,so I know about it. I have been in that dream like state and I never understood it till I was on this site. For me, I would have a panic attack which would throw me into this state. I always would say that I had a panic attack that wouldn't go away, but I now believe that it was this, and it's called Depersonalization. Maybe I'm wrong but that's what I think. I have a friend that every time she drove ,she thought she hit someone,or something and would have to turn around and check. She has anxiety,and is on meds. I have been on meds for years myself. Now with that being said I do think your boyfriend is suffering from anxiety. With anxiety, and panic, we feel gloom and doom,and were never going to feel better. Guys show their feeling with rage cause that's how they deal,and us girls cry. I never heard of depressive syndrome, but the paxil is used to treat anxiety how ever if it is not working after a couple of weeks than by all means call your doc right up and he will change it or up it  if need be. When on meds you should feel good again like your old self. Please call your doc and get right back there. It is hit and miss till they find what works for you. I wish you well again. xxo

• Posted

you must give the medication time to do its work.  2 to 6 weeks and most times the medication will magnify the symptoms you already have. Its frightning and very scary but in most cases you start to notice improvements around the third week.When the brain is over stressed which is what we are all going through it goes into a type of overload, your not going mad or crazy. Its just trying to reboot itself and so you get what I call stinking thinking. Episodes of thoughts that are not your type of thinking and because its not how you normally think you go into a panic reaction. This is where the drugs do their thing by helping the brain to start putting things in to prospective. Yes I know its not quick enough but time is our friend and you will get to a controlable stage where you feel good and life is good. Please note sometimes you may have to go through several medications to find the right one so hang in there you will get to a better state of mind.Did you know Sir Winston Churchill suffered with anxiety He called it the Black Dog. He did not have the medications we have today and still lead a country to victory through a world war.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.