My boyfriend takes 30/500 co codimol and he takes 20-30 ...

Posted , 33 users are following.

My boyfriend takes 30/500 co codimol and he takes 20-30 a day, you may think this is a lot but that is because my boyfriend has been addicted to them for the past 6 years after being given these tablets following his tonilectomy.When he wakes in the morning he has bad cramps and my bed is soaking wet this is due to the fact that hes an addict and the codien has worn off.When he has tried coming off them he has the same symptoms as a heroin addict in cold turkey. He is now gets a daily persription and is down to fifteen a day but he now takes codien phosphate as the paracitamol in the co-codamol causes constipation which cant be good on the bowels. He is only 26 and this addiction has made his life sometimes unbareable. I know that if he could turn back time he would never had taken co codamol.

BE VERY CAREFULL

[i:8846f2a75e]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:8846f2a75e]

1 like, 38 replies

38 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

A lot of bad info on here.

firstly its the codeine that brings on constipation NOT paracetemal. Sadly it's the worst side effect.

secondly that much paracetemol a day is really bad. Unbelievably bad. The codeine you can get away with in that dose but it also has a ceiling effect . This means you can't say go over 400 mgs at a time . It's pointless. And you have to go up the opiate chain. DHC is next and also doesn't quite have the ceiling effect and then in the UK we go to morphine. A huge step, but obviously you can take it in small doses.

USE CWE to take out most or close to all the paracetemol unless you are on at max 4 times 2 per day for a short period of time as the combo does help.

but it's the opiate that is the major pain reliever so if you need more than the odd 30/500 , get rid of the paracetemol.

its a very simple process and no reason to get paranoid as you will see the proof left over. Yes I would advise a bit of paracetomal , due to the synergy, but only on 2 pills. Cwe the rest.

10grams af paracetemal a day and you will die early make no bones about it.

also your boyfriend is addicted to the opiate(codeine) so he needs to just take straight codeine or DHC! And of course try to come down, but there is no reason to stay on any paracetamol product for the long term. That's as as an when pain reliever for people that haven't past the threshold. Also its just not close to being addictive but codeine which metabolises into morphine is.

• Posted

Hi M guest

I'm currently taking 20 to 30 Cocodamol per day, I also drink alcohol and take cocaine. I've done this for years and believe it's a matter of luck when it comes to your metabolism.

I'm over 40 and not condoning my habits at all, I have a degree and a good job. I've had friends that have dropped down dead with heart attacks and aneurisms that have lead a 'proper' and sober life.

My point is...... I'm a fatalist...... Hey ho..... Ce la vie all the best.... We go when we go......

Dean

• Posted

I have this problem also, I am desperate to come of them but I am afraid of the side effects. Is there any advice you can give to help me..... 
  • Posted

It's not the codeine that's hatmful it's the paracetamol X we all know you can take 2 paracetamol at a time every 4 hours any more danages your kidneys and enlarges your liver? I don't indetstand how anybody could take 20 or 30 a day it's ridiculous X I'm 36 with rheamatoid arthritis I expulsion never take more than 4 a day as it totally spaces you out X so your boyfriend on that many us xrazy X it also made me snappy and short tempered shouting at everyone in site X after 4????? Your boyfriend felt the high and used his pain as an excuse X and how the hell did he get the prescription to allow him to take 30 a day?? I get 100 a month repeat prescription X my doctor told me I know you need them but you will be constapated, sedated and addicted!! Say no more?? I have chronic pain and I've never taken more than 4 a day only when I need them X
  • Posted

I have been taking 30/500 everyday for 13 years not always the 8  a day but the last due to depression etc Iv been taking not just the 8 but more and then hardly coping when I run out of my monthly prescription and desperate for my next delivery ,I take them for pain in hands ,hips ,legs ,back but now I have ribs and kidney pains so I take them for that ,my doctors refuse to visit me in my home and as I am a recluse and housebound mentally I get my tablets delivered ,the mental health are no good and de nothing Im also bulimic and the lack of help with getting off these tablets is awful ,I am addicted to them and am terrified of not having them as the euphoria they give me helps with the long suffering depression as no other tablets have done , I hope I dont end up with kidney or liver disease but suspect I may have the begginings of it and just dont seem to be able to get help its very hard for all of us addicted to a drug like this sadly.
  • Posted

I have been takin 30/500's for 12 years for a bad back but about 5 years ago I had an operation on it. Until just recently I thought that the op wasnt such a success and contnued to take anywhere between 8 & 10 30/500's a day. This year whilst on holiday overseas I didnt take enough tablets and realised it wasnt pain that needed the tablets it was an addiction. The last 4 days of the holiday saw me getting no sleep at all. I had restless legs and the twitches so bad that I had to spend every night on the balcony. When we got home it was like meeting an old friend and I took so many tablets that my nerves etc. settled. I then decided to go and see the doctor and explained that I wanted to stop taking the tablets. She said I needed to ween myself off them and changed them to 8/500. The cramps, twitches and restless legs came back with a vengeance. I therefore decided about 8 days ago to stop altogether. These have been the worst 8 days of my life and I dont know how much longer I can cope, I'm slowly going mad, I have managed to get no more than 2 hours sleep a night and then have a full day at work next day and I'm so tired. 

I have read that it can take a long time to get this horrible drug out of my system but if I dont get something sorted soon I am going to go insane.

Apparently I shouldnt have been taking these for more than a couple of months yet I just telephoned for a repeat prescription every single month without question.

If anyone can tell me that this pain will stop then I will carry on and try to rid my body of the dependency but it is so so hard.

• Posted

You're nearly through the worst bit. Stick at it. I've now been clean for 353 days. Was the hardest thing I've ever done but I'm so pleased I did it. 

I went cold turkey, I'd been on 30/500s for nearly 10 years and was topping up with Nurofen plus. The pain of coming off was awful. No sleep, cramps, restless legs, but slowly I started to feel better. After about two weeks I managed to go for walks and my energy started returning. 

It was after a couple of months I all of a sudden felt amazing. Energy like I never knew I had, it's like the drug had been suppressing it. 

You're doing amazingly well and so close to being rid of it. 

• Posted

Codine is a very bad addiction after beating alcohol addiction i had a bad operation and was prescribed codine im now taking up to 30 a day .when i try and stop i get a million and 1 pains i never knew i had.and the mood swings unbearably. I didn't think a doctor could prescribe a adictive illness with a drug witch is highly addictive .

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.