My BP Disorder Story

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi there,

Just thought I'd share my story with Bipolar Disorder. I'm 24 years old and was diagnosed 3 years ago this December coming, have been on lithium 3 years ago this January and it's done wonders... for the mania anyway. If depression takes hold, I'm prescribed Seroquel but don't like it much as it knocks me out.

Anyway, I'd struggled with ups and downs throughout my teens, my parents just put it down to me being a difficult teenager. Finally ended up being diagnosed with rapid cylcing bipolar disorder, OCD and Borderline Personality Disorder traits (not sure what that means...). Totally didn't believe them at the time because I was manic and hallucinating!!

It took a while to find the right dose of lithium and I'm finally settled on 800mg and it's working pretty OK; doesn't really help with the depression, but I can see that it won't be this way forever and it'll be over in a week or so. It HAS definitely helped with mania/hypomania, don't get the hyperness or impulsiveness anymore, but I get REALLY irritable for days/weeks instead.

I've also found that exercise has really helped me; since the start of this year I've really thrown myself into Combat, Pump, Zumba and Balance classes. My moods swings have gotten better ten-fold, I have more energy and a more positive outlook - albeit not all the time, but I don't wanna be a zombie now hehe.

I feel really, really lucky I had a quick diagnosis (from my GP first noticing it wasn't \"just depression\" to being referred to Insight and being treated by a psychiatrist and diagnosed, about 6 months), I've an amazing set of friends which thanks to them I've never needed hospitalising. A very understanding family, when really they've never known me any different and a boyfriend who accepts me and my mood-swinging nueroticness and still loves me! Haha.

Anyway, I know it's not often a \"positive\" bipolar story is heard. But I feel really lucky and wanted to share smile.

Lala. X

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

My daughter has had Bipolar for few years now. In and out of hospitals and can't keep work or relationships going. The last \"episode\" was so bad she was in for 6 months and given ECT. I don't kono if that ghelped or not? then she was put on Lithium just before being discharged. After a few weeks i suggested she be taken off that as she was \"seeing\" things---flashing lights, green lights on people, swords running across her and faces watching her.! It hasn't made any difference. She is worse than ever. sometimes suicidal as it is distressing, to say the least! Anyone out there have similar experiences? Please let me know.
    • Posted

Not with Lithium. but yes with Olanzapine.

I have only recently been diagnosed with bipolar ( Iam 65 on Christmas day this year)

In my opinion it points to the lithium.

Have you googled lithium side effects.?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.