My BP is 166/92 taking 10mg Enalapril at my 79 years

Posted , 3 users are following.

Can't imagine what I can change in my lifestyle as I go to the Gym 3 times a week, play golf at least once a week and walk everyday for 40 minutes. I eat modestly, drink very little and only eat homemade food low in fat and lightly salted. Reluctant to change medication.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

You don’t say anything about your weight, but everything else you say makes you a model for your age and the not so old folks. Do you own a device to take your BP, by yourself, at home, at the same time everyday, and are the readings always the same or close? For how long  have you had them at this level? When did you start taking BP medication ? Did you  ever take a higher dose of it, and if so why did you lower it?
    • Posted

I weigh 75.4kg, and started taking 10mg of medication 15 years ago. I have an Omron M6 comfort and only record readings when inflation is above 200 hg. My readings today are around 20 higher than they were after first starting medication. Of course I was younger. BP is prevalent on my father's side and eventually that is how they passed away. Thanks for replying.

• Posted

Bwanapete..you didn't say how long you've been taking the Elanipril As you might know, this is in the class of ACE inhibitors.10mg may not be strong enough to lower the bp readings, or you may need a little something else to go along with it, i.e. a mild diuretic. Have you been feeling ok? When we're not feeling well, the bp naturally elevates. This is normal, & the body's reaction to something not right. 

The best thing you can do is to get back to your doctor. You & the doctor must play as a team. I would never advise anyone to increase or decrease their medications, or to stop the medication without consulting their doctor. If someone were to do that, I'd bet anything the doctor would not be impressed at all. In fact, he/she would be p*ssed off but not say much. 

Please let us know how you get on. Don't give up.  

• Posted

Hi Mike, I was on 10mg of Lisinopril for 15 years but forced to change to Enalapril because lisinopril was out of the market in Kenya where I spend a lot of time. However, my BP remained at 162/92 until my local GP suggested adding 5mg Amlodipene which has lowered it to 143/82 without side effects so far. Back in UK soon.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.