My BPPV Symptoms continue...

Posted , 8 users are following.

Great forum.

I had a serious episode of BPPV last October 2014, all of a sudden I was falling to the left and for weeks I felt like I was on a boat and very nauseaus for some time. Now after almost 4 months I feel much better but still have times when I just don't feel right, off balance and cannot sleep on any side, have to be on my back with two pillows. I have taken Meclizine and Dyphydrimine on and off. Had several bad episodes that turned into full blown anxiety attacks, not good. Been to three Dr's and not sure when this will be totally gone. Just want to be myself again.

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

I know exactly how you feel I been doing this for 4 years now along with tinnitus and vertigo I have good days mostly now I do balance excercises twice a day about 15min each time seems to really help got them from physico therapist try one it will help be patient it all takes a while good luck
  • Posted

Hi rjs smile sending positive, healing energy your way! curious, was last Oct 2014 your first episode of BPPV?
    • Posted

No, I had it twice before in my life. Last time about 10 years ago.
    • Posted

Hi again rjs! Oh i see! So was 8 to 10 years ago you were diagnosed with BPPV? I am just very curious being so new to this as it is only been a little over three weeks for me... About the diagnosis process. I see many comments on here how people have gone through their GP to an ENT and not been diagnosed until they see a neurologist... I have seen my GP, and I have an appointment with an ENT at the end of February, but they are all very booked up so I have to wait... I was thinking that if your first episode was October 2014 then you were diagnosed very quickly, and I wanted to know how you navigated that process. But I see now you have been battling this for a great many years... But gives me hope that you had 10 years between episodes! Right now I would take 10 days! smile thank you for giving me hope of a hiatus!
  • Posted

Oh lordy, I feel your pain too. I had my first episode - they are not sure exactly which kind of Vertigo it is, but it was not crystals in my ear. I, too, lean to the left and when the episode happened I could only walk to the left. I thought for sure I was having a stroke. This is such scary stuff and what really scares me is that I feel like a ticking time bomb, never knowing when it will hit again. Mine happened one week ago. I was in the hospital for 2 days and today is the first day I have left my house. I went to work for about 4 hours, luckily I have a desk job, so I felt safe. My energy is zapped, nauseated, lost 5 lbs so far, nothing sounds good to eat. They gave me Meclizine, but it doesn't do anything. After reading so many posts about people going to different doctors, but none of them being able to help, I think I'm just going to try and work through it. I don't have the money to spend on another doctor telling me it's vertigo, no cure, don't know when/if I will have another episode, etc. I also miss being my active self again. This is a HORRIBLE condition to have to live with. I'm so sorry for all of us! But...it's nice to know we are not alone and hearing other people's stories makes me feel more normal. 
    • Posted

Hi Everyone,I ve been suffering from labythrinitis and vertigo for six years, the labs is pretty constant but the vertigo has only been a few times, I fall to the right when I have it. 

I find doctors pretty usless  they just think you re a little dizzy, but as we all know it's a lot more than that.

my heart goes out to all that are suffering,I just wanted to tell Amie that suffer from constant nausea and I take cyclizine they are very good, I only need to take one a day now, they have helped me to eat again,I hope this is some help to you x

• Posted

I have had this boat feeling for 15 months now- strange thing is the boat feeling is going and it's changed to a tipped to one side/falling sensation- but some days a just feel a little disorientated and van get things done- at first when I had the boat thing ENT and other doctors reassured me it would go- so I was still driving and going on nights out though not drinking - but nor because it's been so long even tho its better than then the anxiety of not bring able to stop of after 14 doctors it's getting to me and panic attacks are becoming frequent- but I believe il get better - have to beleive- for mornings like this I've woke up dizzy free and I will be until 5 tonight then I start to feel a little heavy headed- but in the beginning I had no time of relief- this means my brain is winning right? I do 15 mins of head movements some I learned from physio - some fr youtube and some I made up to challenge my brain- this is very scarey having this!!! I visited a psychic an he told me until my mind let's go il never get better so stop looking for it- I've stopped everything that is a migraine trigger- I've stopped salt- and have my sugar only from fruit- I beleive god made our bodies to heal an he gave us the right food to heal- and it was in no packet or box- or come from the trees and the ground- I have gluten free now- it helped allot about 3 days after going gluten free I felt like I'd jumped up like 40 percent better! I gave high protein and plenty of veg diet - I basically eat like I would if I was living in the wild- and I must say these better days are becoming more often - the other night I had a screech down my blocked left ear was tinnitus for about 1 minute then it went and my dizzy been allot better since. Sorry about the essay people but a don't think alcohol- chemicals- medication can fix us If they don't no what it is!!! Garlic - broccoli -avocado- these kill bacteria viruses - the fix cells then make more cells and clean u out- so whatever you've got I believe it can be cured by diet - positivity and the exercises - gluten free defo helped jist make sure u get enough fibre from other stuff or ul be unwell xxx
    • Posted

That mean it say it comes from trees and ground x
  • Posted

Positional vertigo can be a pain to deal with. You mentioned having episodes before, I was curious have you ever had the Epley maneuverer or Sermont done? Some people have long periods between their bouts of vertigo while others more constant. The head maneuvers can be very helpful. 
    • Posted

I have to say I was nervous going forward with the Epely. I just didn't want to possibly feel worse. I didn't get it done. I'm about 90% now with periods of unsteadiness / dizziness.
  • Posted

Hi I also suffer from bppv which took by drs at hospital about 6 years to diagnose. My first ever attack was in my first year of college where I missed a whole month and now I suffer on and off every few months. How long do your attacks normally last? If you have any questions feel free to ask smile
  • Posted

Well...been going through these residual off balance feelings and it has taken a toll on me. My anxiety level is crazy. I just am having a had time coping. Taking Meclizine again when I need it. Most of the time I get the jolt when looking down (at a keyboard for the computer etc.) I wish this would end already. Thinking about doing some at home exercises or getting the eply but am afraid of getting worst.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.