My brain just isn't working????

Posted , 13 users are following.

Over the last 6 years I've had s9 many of the peri symptoms. I've had night sweats, hot flashes, aches and pains, I've had the worst syptoms of depression and extreme anxiety and probably a bunch more I could name off. Most of the syptoms have calmed down or I've just got used to them (the anxiety still likes to show its evil head here and there) but right now the brain fog and head pressure are my main annoying syptoms. I could certainly say they are better than the depressive state but I need my brain to work. I had to take a less stressful job that required less brain work, but that also involved lowering my income I want to find another job that pays better but I feel Im just dumb or stunned. I don't even know how t9 explain it, it's like when you wake up and your brain is groggy for the first hour...but I'm like that all day, most days, with a few clear days here and there.

Are any of you other ladies experiencing this? Have you found anything that truly helps? Or does it go away eventually?

Worrying about money is one thing that brings on the anxiety monster.

2 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

• Posted

Hi Samantha

Yes, I can relate. I've also had to change my job for something less intense and even though I haven't lost money, it does bother me. Last year, I was on it, I could handle huge workloads in a very stressful job.i had to take 4 months off when my symptoms were crippling, and even though I'm back, I feel my brain isn't. I still have the feeling of stress, even though I'm working at a quarter capacity. I'm just trying to look on it as a temporary measure. I couldn't get myself well in my old job, all of my energy was going to work. So on the whole it will be a positive thing but I feel really disengaged. Funny though, noone else thinks that so I think I'm maybe just really hard on myself. Try not to worry, I know it's made more difficult with a pay cut, but I'm sure over time you'll feel better and you can pick your jobs xx

• Posted

Hi Samantha. 

I feel ur pain. The foggy brain . The you can see what needs to be done but can’t clear your head to get it done.  I have had that for a few years now. 😓😓 but around my period it clears for a few day. It’s thw only time I can do bank book work. ..... and then it’s back to the brain fog.   And can’t concentrate.  I do not know why. 

• Posted

Hi Samantha, yes I get this all day everyday... it is the worst.  Head pressure, sinus pressure.  My head is never clear and I get very fatigued.  I feel like I have a neurological issue, but MRI was clear. I also get the dizzy, off balanced thing.  With me, it has been bad the last 4 months or so, however, at the same time...periods have been very light, and only lasting a couple days.  I have read a lot into this and in my case, I believe it is low estrogen...things are shutting down.  I am on Lexapro as I was told my head pressure was due to anxiety.  It has helped a little.  But, sometimes with the foggy head, I feel drugged.  Going to get on BCP soon.  I haven’t been able to work the last few months 😐

• Posted

Something like this has just started happening to me.  I felt like I had to sit down to get my thoughts together.  I have been having more headaches lately and the skin on my face is really dry.  Are these all symptoms of low estrogen?
  • Posted

Hi Samantha

I completely understand what you're saying about the lack of brain power yes it's a true phenomena that I also experienced and also not being able to make the money you need is creates anxiety. Overwhelming ..hurdles..

I'm there with you sister

Xoxo

• Posted

Samantha, I so understand as I have this very same thing.  I retired early at 55 due to the brain fog, anxiety, loss of balance, depression and more.   Sometimes it feels like I have a vibration like feeling in my brain that really scares me.  I also get this strange feeling like my head registers my body movements after the fact and I feel like I’m going to drop to the ground.  All of this is so strange.  Lots of tests, scans etc., and nothing shows up (of which I’m very thankful for).  Just wish it would pass fast and I’d feel like my old self again!  Good luck, hang in there!  Btw, exercise, hobbies and good friends to talk to help to tolerate this all.  
  • Posted

Hi samantha....i am so with you on this...like you many of my symptoms have lessened but the headaches, head prressure and sinus issues have intensed.. The brain fog too. I am an author and was going to start another book next year but i dont know if i have the same attention span...my typing it tragic also when i use to nearly set my keyboard allite i was so fast. I feel our minds are now catching up with our bodirs changing but im hopeful it will all come back...

Please God....CK

• Posted

With you completely! Are you on HRT? I’m on that and also on antidepressants. It doesn’t make it go away, but it makes it more bareable. Good luck. Remember. There’s millions of us around. 😞

• Posted

Thank you ladies for answering. I know the brain fog is a common syptom but it's nice to hear that I'm not the only one feeling like a zombie.

I have tried different suppliments, I drink lots of water, I excercise every single day and do my best to gets as much sleep as possible. I have tried the AD route but that causes me more problems and I'm afraid of HRT. So I guess it's just something I have to wait on to pass.

I truly appreciate all of your answers ?

• Posted

Hi Samantha

I had always been scared of hrt, and like you AD make things worse somehow, particularly with the anxiety. I take bioidentical hormone replacement, 2 gels you rub on and 1 capsule per day. I've never had healthy hormones and things I had tried in the past were so powerful it made me feel awful. Bhrt I find much gentler and after 6 months I'm better than I was. Not the old pre crash me, but enough to function in a reasonable way. I say, don't suffer if you can find something to help xx

• Posted

Thanks Sassy,

I may give in and talk to my doctor. Really I am strong enough to get through this without anything if I did have the burden of a mortgage and regular bills...but that part is all on me. I know it will go away but I can't have it go on for another 6 years.

Take care ?

• Posted

I think the irritability, anxiety, balance issues and not being able to concentrate is the worst!  Anyone have to quit their jobs because of it all?
    • Posted

Hi nettie,  yes.  I had to stop working last Dec.  I am self employed and love what I do.  But these symptoms suck!  I am dizzy off balanced too.  Not on disability or anything.  Only 41 and I am not contributing financially to the household and it is adding to the stress around here.  On an AD too, trying, but it just sucks plain and simple!  Just recovered from a horrible 2 day migraine.  Now I have another sore throat on top of everything else!  Finally seeing a new gyno in 2 weeks.  Fingers crossed that she can help me.😩

• Posted

Thank you for response!  I hope you get the help you are looking for.  It really stinks that hormones can disable a person to the point of having to give up a careee they loved.  
    • Posted

Hi Nettie

I have been going and going for many months now and may have to start doing less because I am overwhelmed with fatigue and my mood is really low but I have kids to take care of and I have to keep marching forward I guess until I crash. I'm going to see my mother who is not going to be around much longer and to just get off this couch and go get on a plane to fly for 6 hours it's kind of overwhelming so yeah I get it probably will be working in a few months if I stay like I am.

I understand totally

it's a very scary place to be in do not know how long you can hang in there supporting your kids and yourself.

Xoxo

• Posted

I meant to say that I probably won't be working if I stay at this pace

• Posted

I had to quit my job of 14 years, it was fast paced and required quick thinking and take a physical job instead. I couldn't sit still at a desk anymore and I couldn't consintrate on one thing, my mind was all over the place. I'd say perimenopause has costs me thousands in the last few years with the difference in my income and all the things I bought to see if they would help.

I also get irritable, I have days where every conversation around me gets right on my nerves but I've learned to hold things in and fake it till I make it ?

• Posted

I’m so sorry, Samantha, but I sure get it . It’s good to know we are not alone in our suffering.  Let’s hope we come out stronger in the end!  It better not all be in vain.  This has been by far my biggest challenge yet.  I’m a breast cancer survivor too... and this tops that horrible experience, if you can imagine that.   
    • Posted

It's OK Nettle. It won't befor nothing, if anything I now have true compassion for anyone who suffers from anxiety or depression on a regular basis, most of my syptoms of that have passed but there are those that have to deal with it most of their lives. I'm sorry you had to go through breast cancer on top of everything, I can't imagine. We will make it ?

• Posted

You’re so lucky your symptoms are getting better!  Yes... we will make it!!! Thank you for your response.  Helps a lot. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.