My breast reduction experience

Posted , 25 users are following.

I am 59 years old and as long as I can remember I have had size 32 FF breasts. This, over the years has caused many problems as, as you can imagine, they are heavy so cause neck ache, grooves in shoulders from straps etc. The rest of my body is small( I wear size 10 trousers) but because of my bust size I had to buy size 14+ tops. Anyhow after going to the doctor for something completely different I mentioned my neck was aching etc because of these large breasts and he said I would qualify for a bust reduction on the NHS because I wasn't overweight and I was not in proportion to the rest of my body. To cut a long story short, he arranged for me to attend a seminar where they checked my BMI (which has to be below 25) as some people lose weight off their bust if they go on a diet.They also have to weigh your breasts as they will not perform the operation unless they can take at least 1 lb in weight off each breast. I watched a slide show of what they would do and which explained all the problems also. There were about 60 women in the room - all with enormous busts. I was accessed by the consultant and he agreed I needed the operation. After about 4 months I had an appointment for the operation. I checked into the hospital on the Wednesday afternoon and had the operation the next day. In the morning I saw the anaethetist and also the surgeon. They marked my breasts with a black felt tip pen and I was told that on no account was I to rub out the markings or alter them. I would be about a B/C cup after the operation. The operation took about 2.5 hours with two surgeons (one working on each breast). They cut round the nipple and I had a cut going straight down from the nipple and also one round the underneath part of the breast rather like an anchor shape. They took 1.5 lbs from each breast. When I came round I felt fine but it was rather sore where they put a drain in each breast. I got up and had dinner that night and felt brilliant. I had dressings on my breasts but already I could see that they were much smaller and 'perkier'. I joked with other women there that I had a 59 year old body with 16 year old boobs!! On the Friday I had visitors and felt on a real high. Apart from where the drains went in there wasn't much pain at all. I was measured and had to wear a sports bra (32 C). I was to wear a sports bra day and night for 6 weeks and then a normal bra during the day and the sports bra at night for another 6 weeks.Then after that whatever type of bra I liked. On the Saturday the drains came out (not a nice experience) and all the dressing come off and obviously the scars are pretty horrific. I went home Saturday afternoon and was told not to over do things for a week or two. The stitches healed really quickly and when I went back to see the surgeon he was very pleased. I had the surgery in January 2007 and now 6 months later the scars hardly show at all as the cut under the bust lies in the natural curve and the verical cut and the cut around the nipples is just a tiny white line.

The difference this has made to my life is incredible. I can now jog, dance, move about without having to support my bust to stop it bouncing about and feeling really uncomfortable. I can also sleep on my stomach in comfort - something I hadn't done for a long time - and I can also wear small pretty bra's and I feel wonderful. I no longer have shoulder and neck pain and I would definitely recommend having it done if you are elligible for the operation.

2 likes, 36 replies

36 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

It is indeed a great and inspiring story to women like us. Congratulations! 
    • Posted

Well I do feel that anyone who has been through this experience & it has made a significant difference to how they feel & look helps others who are wondering whether or not they should go for it. I tried to explain my experience as it was at the time & hope it's answered a few questions people might have.
  • Posted

After many years trying to pluck up the courage, i finally consulted my Doctor about breast reduction surgery.... but was put off because he said i would need to undress so he could see them first - is this normal? 
    • Posted

Yes I had to show my doctor the size before he referred me to the consultant. He could then see that they were much too large for the rest of my small frame.
  • Posted

Thank you yvonne for explaining in detail your breaat reduction. I have just been giving the funding for mine, and it's nice to read your story.I'm am about the same size as you and for years suffered with neck pain and have terrible grooves in my shoulders

• Posted

Hi Yvonne, I'm just looking at the start of this journey and reading your post has answered some of my questions thank you, I'm currently a 30h and have been toying with the idea of the op for about 12 years now, I'm hoping to get a referral from my doctor so that I have have it carried out on my private health care but failing that I will pay privately as my doctor seemed a bit clueless when I asked about NHS funding.  I have read that you need a week or so off work once you've had the op, I have a desk based job and wonder how long it took you to feel like you could do normal tasks again, Like making meals, ironing, normal day to day stuff, I'm not one that can sit around without doing something although hubby will mother me I'm sure !!

i'm currently both nervous and excited about the prospect of wearing pretty bras and strappy tops and sports bras that don't resemble scaffolding and the fact that my boobs won't be the centre of attention!!  (Looking at becoming a DD after looking at bra's yesterday)

• Posted

Hi Julie, I'm sure you won't regret having the op. To answer your questions I had the op on 25th Jan & I did some ironing on 6th Feb. I drive my car on 23rd Feb to Tesco & pushed the trolley round as well so therefore if didn't take too long to get back doing things. I've kept a diary for years so I can easily look up dates etc you might even get over it quicker than me cos I was 59 in the Feb of that year & I should imagine you might be younger than me. Anyway good luck & hope it all goes well. Yvonne x

• Posted

Thank you for that, I'm an accountant and don't really have any back up do month end, so really am a bit limited to what time ideally I need to be off work, I've done lots of googling and the average seems to be up to 2 weeks.

im 46, so hopefully there won't be any complications, I think you've put my mind at rest more and am fairly confident thT as long as the consultant is happy with me I'll go ahead with the op, thanks again Julie 

• Posted

Hi julie

I was 46 when i had my reduction, this was last year and the best thing i have done.. I have to admit it was very easy to get through, but naively thought i would be back at work in a couple of days i too work in an office. You are really best to have at least 2 weeks off . You should go ahead it is the most amazing thing x

• Posted

Hi Estelle

I've just had my mammogram and will see the consultant next week, I'm hoping that I only need a week or two off work, the Managers are aware of what I am having done and are so far supportive!!

Do you drive? and if so, how long did it take you to drive after the op? this is about the only quesion I can't seem to fnd answers to.

After waiting all this time, I can't wait to get the op sorted and get rid of all the aches & pains !

• Posted

You are best to have 2 weeks off and make sure you take the medication they give you. I do drive and drove after 2 weeks but still found it a little uncomfortable, just stretching and reaching in general i think if your just a little bit careful and let your body tell you enough is enough. I went from a 34GG to a 34C so had quite extensive surgery which is maybe why i took a little longer to recover x
    • Posted

Thank you, I'm going from a 30H to a 30 B/C, was going to reduce to a DD but after many conversations have decided that is still a fairly big size, I'm just so looking forward to having it done now, I have just had my mammogram and will have my full consultation next week and hopefully get a date for the op

• Posted

Hi Yvonne,

I'm 58, you inspired me and I got my breast reduction 5 months ago. It seems my body doesn't break down the dissolvable sutures, they were spitting out since 2 months after surgery, along the incision lines, still popping up one or 2 spots as of now. I'm wondering if you'd experienced anything like this.

Also, the scars under incision lines are very hard, those were internal scars. How long they would be soften as regular tissues, if they would ever?

Do you recommend any supliment and diet for healing?

Hope to hear from you about these.

Thank you

Kp

A

• Posted

Hi Kp, I'm sorry you are having trouble after your surgery. I didn't have any problems like that as I must heal easily. The only thing I can think of to apply to your scars is Bio -oil. But I should check with your doctor first. Good luck. Yvonne

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.