My brother has type 1 clinical bipolar, he's hospitalized, and he stopped speaking. Why?

Posted , 1 user is following.

My brother has clinical bipolar type 1, and he is in a major depressive episode with some level of psychosis happening. He has been hospitalized for a bit over a month now, because he had stopped eating for a life threatening amount of time, like 12 days. Anyways, it was extremely difficult to get him help because he was able to say he had no intent to harm himself or others, but finally we got help. He has refused medical treatment thus far. When he got there.. he had stopped speaking entirely and it was evident that he was in total psychosis. Then suddenly he began to speak again one day, and he cycled back to almost a lucid state of mind. Now, he went back to not eating, and he stopped speaking all together. Not just to me, but to everyone. Im just wondering what might be the cause or if there is a specific explanation as to why? A dilution? He physically can't, like catatonia? It's just so heartbreaking that he struggles with this, and I don't know what he's experiencing, but I can only imagine, and it really breaks my heart that I can't help him or take away his pain and confusion. This is not easy.

0 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.