My brother is a match!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted , 7 users are following.

Exciting news today we found out my brother is a match! im at 9% creatinine 510,

no Dialysis or anything, but found out today my brother is a match and he has an appointment in May at Coventry Hospital! so nervous, scared, whats to expect?

xx

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Janice,

I'm so happy for you! Nothing but best wishes for you and your brother!

Marj

• Posted

Janine, of course you're "nervous, scared" but I can sense your excitement, too, and I feel excited for you.  I'm sure someone will soon be along to advise you "whats to expect" from their experience, but I just wanted to wish you and your lovely, kind-sounding brother all the very best for your respective surgeries and for the future.

• Posted

Janine, if you can find a post in this group from bryan1973 called Hints and tips needed for post transplant........I wrote a very long post about pre transplant work up and the transplant itself and what happens post surgery. If you can’t find it, post back here and I’ll try to copy and paste it when I find where I saved the document!
  • Posted

I found the post. Hope this gives you an idea...

Please note, this is all from my personal experience, but some of it will apply to all transplantees.

Firstly, if you’re not lucky enough to have a family member / friend to be a donor, you’ll be put on the transplant list. My Mum couldn’t donate as she has asthma and it was considered too risky of an operation for her at her age with that condition.

So, you’re on the list (I was on it for about 18 months until I had the transplant). You have to have a few tests to check you are fit enough to have the operation. These include an ECG, a physical activity test with sensors attached, an ultrasound of the heart and an ultrasound of your upper thigh (femoral arteries are where the blood supply comes from for the new kidney).

The ECG is where they attach the 12 leads to you and take a 10 second snapshot of electrical activity in you heart.

The stress test is in 2 parts. You’ll either have to walk for 5 minutes on a treadmill or do 5 minutes on an exercise bike. After that, they inject you with a drug to stress the heart a bit and then you repeat the exercise with the drug in your system. This is to check there’s nothing abnormal when you’re exerting yourself whilst a bit stressed. There’s no danger with this drug, you won’t even notice a difference with it inside you.

OK, so you’re on the list and they have the results (usually valid for 6 months so depending on how long you’re on the list for they may need repeating), so make sure you have your mobile with you at all times and don’t switch it off at night as you need to be connectable 24/7. As soon as they know they have an organ coming in (might be coming from a different hospital) and you are the lucky one on the list best suited for it, they’ll get you to go to the hospital ASAP so you’re ready to go. When you get to the hospital, they’ll take bloods so they can check mixing your blood with the organs blood to ensure there is no “attacking” of cells, as well as getting the usual blood test results (particularly potassium as it’s a danger to operate if that's high). If you’re on dialysis at the time of the transplant, they may give you a dialysis session if your potassium is too high.

Right, everything sorted, you get knocked out and the surgeons do their highly skilled bit and you wake up with a new kidney. The kidney is inserted in the stomach area, to the left or right and the blood supply is taken from the femoral artery. When you come round you might be in the HDU (high dependency unit) where you will usually stay for 2-3 days, depending on circumstances, but you may also go straight to the transplant ward. There will be a few different tubes etc. coming out of you.

A tube in your neck to measure fluid volumes and give temporary dialysis if required.

A small tube in your hand or arm (cannula) to give medications and pain relief.

A plastic drain tube in your abdomen to help drain away any blood and fluid from the operation.

A urinary catheter, to monitor urine output.

There’s also one you can’t see, the ureteric stent which is inside you, between the kidney and the bladder to keep urine flowing and give the stitching inside a chance to heal. The drain tube comes out after a couple of days. The neck line is about 3 days and the cannula in the hand /arm may stay until discharge in case you need meds / fluids. The catheter comes out after about 5 days. The ureteric stent will stay in for about 6 weeks and will be removed as a day surgery case. This is done by using a camera (think it’s called a cystoscope) with a grabber on the end, that passes through the urethra and is pulled out, all done in a couple of minutes and under local anaesthetic. When the catheter comes out, you need to keep track of how much you drink each day and pee in the urine receptacles the hospital provide. This is so the nurses can still monitor your fluid and urine input / output. For a couple of days there will be fluid drips (1000ml bag over 10 hours) going into you to keep the kidney hydrated / get if need to fluids passing through it. I had this for about 3 days. If you were in HDU, you’ll be moved onto the general transplant ward as you’ll be stable and not require high dependency. You’ll be encouraged to eat and drink pretty soon after the operation, usually after just a few hours. You'll also be encouraged and assisted (probably by a physiotherapist) to get out of bed and move around on the day after the op. This helps avoid blood clots and will help with the healing process. Usually, you’ll be kept in for just over a week if all goes well, before being discharged.

After discharge, you’ll have to attend the transplant clinic for about 3 months (all depending on progress / blood results /any complications etc. To start with, its usually twice a week as the doctors need to keep a very close eye on everything and especially check everything is functioning OK as well as watching out for rejection and infection. You'll be given a sample pot to bring a urine specimen on the day, and before leaving you will need to get your bloods test taken so they can check everything and will discuss the results on the following clinic appointment. Obviously if there is something critically wrong with the bloods they may phone you to let you know/ decide on a course of action. If everything goes well, after about a month to 6 weeks, clinic will be once a week and eventually you will be referred back to the hospital that originally referred you for the transplant (basically wherever you used to have dialysis).

There will be quite a lot of medication, definitely anti rejection medication for life. Other medication will include items to prevent ulcers and clotting, a course of anti biotics and others. It will depend on the particular patient, but you will definitely have to take anti rejection for life.

Well that’s all I can think of for the moment, but I’m open to questions I can try to answer if anyone has any.

• Posted

Brilliant news Janine.

Be advised even though you've found a good match there are still lots of tests to go through and long waits for results and appointments. Hate ruining the moment I really do but before I got my transplant my wife enquired about donating her kidney as did my dad and my brothers and a doctor advised even if any of them were a match the process cam last up to a year. But please Janine believe me I am thrilled for your good news and stay positive mate

Stevie

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.