My Brother needs help

Posted , 4 users are following.

My brother has depression and attempted to take his life 6 months ago. I took my brother to the Doctors yesterday, the second time he has been. The first time he was prescribed drugs and sent to a councilor. He stopped going to his Councilling, stopped his meds and is now so so low. His GP was an a*se and very rude to me and told my little 2 year old off while in the room (he was just being a 2 year old) the GP was very negative, mater of fact and downright miserable. In fact he made me feel miserable and i wasn't the patient! goodness know how my brother must have felt. Anyway, my question is this, he is now being referred to the mental health team so can anyone tell me what I can do to help him. I work and have a business seperate to this and have my own young family to deal with but am doing all i can. He is about bto get his house taken off him (he has so much debt but is being sorted but will still lose his house as 2nd time taken to court) My sister and I do all we can and are at a loss now, and getting frustrated with him which we know isn't good for him. He has a teenage daughter wholives with him and she is very bad behaved as he has absolutrely no control over her. This is a huge huge mess :-( what can we do to help him feel better?

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi the old adage 'You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink'  comes to mind here.  

First of all get him to change his doctor.  Some just don't understand or want to understand depression!   He needs one he can relate to who will take him seriously and help him rather than the idiot he has seen.  

You sound like a very good sister and he is lucky to have you.   I think the main thing is to encourage him to take his meds and go to counselling.  The other thing is to let him know you are there for him if he needs to talk.   Try not to be judgemental (not easy)  and just let him unburdon himself to you.   BUT you have a lot going in on your life so you mustn't let yourself be dragged down too much as you can't let yourself go under.   You would be of no use to anyone if you did.  

At the end of the day only he can sort his life out.  It would also help if you read up on depression so you have more knowledge about it.

Good luck.

Bev xx

• Posted

You are doing all you can Hun. Your brother is probably very scared and confused and a lot of us will tell you that starting medication can intensify these feelings at first. People then come off them thinking they are making them worse when really they haven't given them enough time to get into the system.

You all sound very supportive. I think that if your brother won't accept any help. He must be very very depressed a thinking that there is no point,nothing can help. God I've been there,still feel that way some days. 

All you can do is what you already are. Talk to him,listen to him and try to involve him.

Hypercat is correct in the fact that the rest he must do for hisself. I do hope that he finds something in hisself to seek the help he deserves because depression is a very lonely place,even lonelier without support and reassurance.

(((HUG))) to you because this has got to be very hard on you. You are doing a great job. Don't you forget that xx

• Posted

Hi, you are doing a wonderful job with your brother being supportive. Sometimes it's difficult for families as they are more emotionally involved. Be there to listen if he wants to talk, encourage him to take his medication. Talking therapies or Counselling maybe what he needs, but he himself has to want this. It is hard to see someone close suffering fom depression but you are doing all you can. Get him to change his GP or see another one in the practice that has more understanding of mental health. You have a family to look after and a job so look after yourself otherwise you will suffer too. I think your already doing enough to help your brother by listening and being there. Give him time and encourage him to get proffessional help. Good luck, hope this helps.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.