My Bunion Surgery story

Posted , 2 users are following.

Had scarf bunion surgery on 11/11/15 and at the 5th week appointment, when I thought I would be out of the surgical shoe and start bearing weight, I was told that I had fractured the first metatarsil in a different place than where the doctor surgically broke it to fix the bunion. And since it was displaced I would need surgery again.I had the second surgery on 12/16 and was put in a splint until 12/29 when I was put in a hard caste to just below my knee. I got back on 1/29 to get this cast off and xrays taken.

Regarding my surgery: when the doctor got in there, he realized that the break was an old one and had to have happened immediately after the  bunion surgery...like a day or two after....because the displaced bon had started to grow back but it was growing back incorrectly. Because of this he had to saw and chip away the new growth and then insert a plate with six pins. I was given probophal which just puts you in a twilight state so I could hear the sawing, etc...and it hurt like hell!!! The doctor told my husband when I was still in recovery that he thinks one of the two pins wasn't placed correctly. Hmmm.....Good news: my bones grow quickly because the bunion area was healed and he was able to take the pin out.  Of course, I am on non-weight bearing for six to eight weeks.

0 likes, 6 replies

Report / Delete

6 Replies

• Posted

Oh my you poor thing. I worry that I've done too much too soon. The day after surgery I was walking about a little. 4 weeks on I've just taken the dogs out for a 20 min walk in my trainers! I was told to weight bare as soon as possible. It make me nervous as to whether I've done any damage.

How did you fracture it?

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

The doctor told my husband that he thought the fracture was done by one of the pins inserted during the original bunion surgery.

I walked the the day of surgery with the post op shoe and only on my heel. 

Anyway, I am a little worried (a lot) because twice I almost fell with the crutches after the second surgery and of course, immediately put the  broken foot down to brace myself. At that point, it still just had a splint and not the cast. Since the doctor didn't xray prior to putting the cast on, I didn't say anything. Im hoping the plate and screws are still in place because honestly it has been so hard going thru this. I guess those of us with complications all feel that way though.

I have a bunion on the left foot too but it will be a long time before I think about getting that one done after this nightmare...and certainly not going to use this doctor.

When do you go back to the doctor?

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Oh bless you! Fingers crossed that you're over the worst of it!

Back to the Dr on the 19th Jan

I walked fully on me feet - if maybe a little to the side. I was never given a heel weight bearing post op boot - eeeek! I hope I had the right one.

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Its amazing the different types of surgery and the different post op insructions we are all getting. I had the scarf osectomy which supposedly is can get you on your feet sooner and walking on the front part of your foot with no cast but in the research I'v done, there has been what they call "proximial fractures" and also numbness of the toes.  Also I still feel like I have the bandages between my big toe and second toe that was ued to keep the big toe in place/  
      Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Sorry to hear this. Being non weight bearing for 6 - 8 weeks is hard work. I am wondering how you are coping with this. I have not been put in a splint or cast. My doctor said wear the support shoe and maybe a boot at the end of the month. (my next appointment end of January). I am curious why i havent been put in a boot below the knee especially being a displaced fracture of the 1st metatarsal! I was told it would need surgery in a year.

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

A year? Wont the  one hav grown back like mine was doing (not straight). Does it hurt? Mine didn't but then again, I was only walking on my heel a that point.

Yes, the 6 to 8 weeks (hoping it will be 6) has not been fun but it's taught me a little bit of patience. I don't know what I was thinking when I scheduled it for the week before Thanksgiving. I guess I wasn't thinking. Thankfully I have a great husband who did a lot of the cooking and

decorating for Christmas. Also my daughter came back to the states on

12/11 (right before I found out about the fracture) and was a huge help It. She even made all the cookies (I had the dough made and it was in the fridge). I made 8 different kinds! And my husband and me were out shopping on 12/23 (me in a wheelchair cause it was a lot easier).

I still have some of the decorations up but my husband has taken most of them down. I am something of a neat freak and like everything put away and straightened up. Well, I've had to lower my expectations since I can't do a lot. I did rent a knee walker which is a God send. It's amazing all the things we do that we take for granted...like getting up from a chair and walking across the room without thinking about it. Cant wait until I can at least hobble on this foot

Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up