My Champix Nightmare

Posted , 2 users are following.

My father and family have become recent victims of the rare but severe adverse reactions linked to Champix in which my father had accidentally taken his own life during what appeared to be a major “psychotic event”. He had been drinking in combination with taking Champix which appears to have resulted in hanging himself in the garden shed. I had spoken to him only hours before and he was his usual happy self, just settling in for the night to watch some TV and have a few drinks. He was a contented happy man with everything going for him and everything to live for. He was happily married and had recently become a grandfather and was about to become one for the second time. With no financial worries and his working life nearing an end he was positively looking forward to his twilight years of watching his grand kids grow up and share his retirement with my mother, family and his wide circle of friends.

He had began taking Champix in early February and had reported to the family that he had suffered from some of the more common side-effects including vomiting, headaches and disturbed sleeping but did not elaborate on why he thought his sleep had been effected. On the 23rd of March 2008 his body was discovered by my brother at the family home. There was no note and there appears to have been no premeditation to the events. The authorities so far are treating his death as a “terrible accident” in which they believe there was no intent to end his life. In my opinion with the evidence that has been explained to me, he appears to have behaved completely out of character including damaging our home in a way that would be totally alien to my father given the pride he had in his home.

In my mind there is no doubt that these pills, which are designed to mimic the “high” from smoking by releasing dopamine which effects behaviour, had a huge part to play in my father’s premature death.

My goal is to collect information from other people who have also experienced adverse reactions so that we can insure these drugs are proportionately monitored by the medical community, the manufacturer Pfizer and the respective governing bodies responsible for pharmacovigilance. I believe this drug can be a positive thing if taken by the right individual and if the patient is correctly monitored and informed. However it is in the pharmaceutical industries interests to avoid mentioning these side effects.

(Sorry but Patient Admin have removed either a telephone number, an email address, and or web address, from this posting, as it is the policy of Patient UK not to publish these on this forum.

If you wish to communicate directly with people, you should register, for free, with the forum (click Register in the menu list below the green banner above). You and other registered members will then be able to communicate with each other via Private Messaging (PM) or e-mail.)

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I am so sorry to hear your sad news. Regarding the lack of information concerning side effects I can assure you that Champix includes them on a long and lengthy paper that comes with the drug. The onus is on users to actually read it!

I am also rather concerned regarding the suggestion that people should be registering on a forum and be able to communicate via PM - not a good idea because you preclude others from reading comments and answers, and that I am sure is NOT the idea of a forum to make conversations \"secret\"

Whilst I am well aware of the possible side effects of Champix, I do feel that ANY non smoking aid will bring about depression (known fact that anyone trying to stop smoking does get depressed) and certainly drinking with any tablet is dangerous.

Your article was of great interest but you assume that this drug is not monitored by the medical community, or the manufacturer or the governing bodies - I would appreciate proof of this please and the links where you have obtained these facts from.

At the end of the day, whilst your family have had a tragedy of which I am sorry about please do not be so quick to blame a drug that HAS warnings, for many who receive regular medical checkups, who do NOT take alcohol with it etc.

• Posted

Good morning Flubber

Regarding your quote:

[quote:395f8d6a97]I am also rather concerned regarding the suggestion that people should be registering on a forum and be able to communicate via PM - not a good idea because you preclude others from reading comments and answers, and that I am sure is NOT the idea of a forum to make conversations \"secret\"

[/quote:395f8d6a97]

This is not about making conversations \"secret\" but allowing members to speak directly with others, which several of our members do.

If myself or one of the Moderators has put the message on the posting, is that we do not allow members to post their personal contact details, be it telephone number or email address. This is purely for their own protection.

Regards

Lin

Lead Moderator Patient UK Experience Forums

• Posted

I started taking Champix in June 2007, I have had problems since July 2007. I have terrbile memory loss (at one point I couldnt even remember how to spell my name) and I have terrible mood swings.

I cry easily and for hours, I also lose my temper easily and with verocity.

I can no longer multi task either.

This is giving me a poor quality of life. I have been to different doctors and none of them have been able to help me. I have even spoken in great length to a friend who is a shrink. He couldnt help me either.

Due to my dramatic change in behaviour, I have very low self esteem and become very insular.

I have been ill for a year and can only think it is the Champix that has caused me to be like this. These symptons were not in the information leaflet. I didnt have even one sip of alcohol from May 2007 to May 2008.

I hope this information is helpful to somebody. I also suggest that you look at fda web site. It wont let me write the address.

This has new information about Champix (they call it Chantix) this talks about people being suicidal and having behavioural problems. This new info was submitted in November 2007.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.