My chest pain has come back

Posted , 7 users are following.

I was diagnosed with multiple pulmonary emboli back in March and I had really bad chest pains at the beginning particularly when I was on apixaban (eliquis) but when I changed to tinzaparin my chest pains died down a lot. My health has improved but I have woken up today with quite a sore chest again. I coughed a bit this morning, as I do most mornings, but it feels really sore today. It isn’t as bad as it was at the beginning, but the worst it has felt for a while. I have missed a couple of days treatment the day before yesterday and one time last week. Will that affect my chest? Apart from that I have had my injection every day at the same time. 

Does your chest just hurt a lot from time to time even when it hasn’t for ages? What makes it sore all this time later? Is it nerve damage? 

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

I'm a year and a half out and still have bad days with chest pain and tightness.

• Posted

Does it just come on suddenly after being ok for a while?
    • Posted

Yep, good days and bad. Humid weather hurts, and some days don't seem to have a reason at all.

• Posted

The first time I had my PE's I had a lot of chest pain with short of breath for about 3-4 months. Thought it was heart pains so my provider ordered an EKG to see if I was having a heart attack or the PE's caused some stress to my heart. They were mostly normal. 6 months on the blood thinners. This second time with the PE's , I was sick with bronchitis and short of breath even with asthma medication but, no chest pain. So, I'm thinking different symptoms with different people. After the medical tests to reassure me all was ok and I was continuing to heal from the assault of the PE's , I started to settle a bit emotionally. Still hyper- vigilant but that eased with time too. But my background vigilance still recognised I needed to be rechecked for PE's especially because I was off the blood thinners and I was not active because I was sick. So I guess my advice is be vigilant but give yourself time to heal. Be nutritionally conscious. Taking medications as prescribed. Pamper yourself. Work on getting physically stronger, as well as mentally. We could of died with these PE's and it messes with our minds. We go through a grieving process. ....

• Posted

I’m only 1 month into diagnosis but I’m still in constant pain, sneezing, coughing even stretching is an ordeal.I cleaned out my fridge freezer today and by god I feel like I’ve done a 12 hour shift! I’m floored haha! However back to your point my doctor says to me it will take at least a year in my situation to feel any improvements. I do have a scarring in both lungs but if you think about your lungs work 24/7 so healing time will be a long process especially if you are a hay fever sufferer, asthmatic or if you catch a common cold it will take much longer. It is such crappy thing to be diagnosed with but at least we are not alone and we have this forum! 
  • Posted

It is weird because the type of sharp chest pains I am having now, I haven’t had since May, although they aren’t as severe as back then. I thought they had all cleared up for good, but maybe it is because of the hot and humid weather.
    • Posted

Humid weather bothers me. Pain and not easy to breathe. Never did before my PE
  • Posted

I never thought of nerve damage being a cause of the pain!? I also was diagnosed in March, the 19th actually.

Just the last two weeks I've noticed that the pain is back on the left side, almost to arm pit. Both of my lungs have PE. I'm on elliquis until further notice.

My life doesn't allow me to slow down and frankly my doctor wasn't that concerned so non of us have made a very big deal about any of this. I'm under the assumption that I need to start an active and healthy regime and that circulation will make all the difference.

Hopefully someone will answer your question. I would also like the answer. Good luck hope you feel better!

• Posted

I know this is an old discussion, but this has very much been my experience. The PE itself gave me very little chest pain at the time, but there have been seasons of resurgences. Just after Christmas (15 months after PE) I had the beginning of another season of chest pain. Comes and goes at the most random of times (sometimes wakes me) but will usually pass in ten minutes. The presence of some discomfort is constant at the moment, and I know that I am physically not as capable of exercise.

Cardiologist said that because the chest pains come at random times it's probably not the heart. That's a good thing. Waiting for another scan. Might go back to my GP.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.