My Child's fear for strangers

Posted , 5 users are following.

My Son is 2 years 1 month old...He is completely fine in all other activities except mingling with others.. he always needs me... If someone speaks to him or tries to lift him he will start crying.. In his play school too he s not getting along with other kids or with his teachers .. it's been 3 months since he joined... I m sitting with him in school too.. he rarely gets up from my lap to take some material and play in school... He s not playing with other kids too. When he s talking with us or when playing with us when some 3rd person comes he stops playing n comes to me n immediately I should lift him otherwise he will cry... I m little worried regarding tis.. suggestions regarding this plz... How to deal with him regarding this behaviour..

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

This sounds exactly like how my oldest daughter was. I enrolled her in a dance class at age 2, where the parents participate. It took 4 months to see progress. The we moved to the next level. Little kids without parents, but kept the same teacher. 1 year of resistance. Lots of positive feedback for good moments, and tons of patience, my daughter was ready for school at 3 1/2. She loved dancing before classes so that's why we chose it, and she still loves it several years later.

Also, you aren't a bad parent if your child cries! At some point during the same struggle you are having, I decided I would not pick her up. I felt like that might be reaffirming her fear that there was something to worry about. She threw the most epic tantrums for about a month. Then she started hanging on to my legs. Then graduated to my hand.

My oldest can still throw the worst fits anyone has ever seen, and she can go on for hours. Our rule is, "throwing a fit wont get you what you want". If i prepare her for a change a long time in advance i find she throws less fits. For example "mommy's going to let you play all by yourself at day care, then I will come back and we can play together." Also as my kid got bigger and started school, i do not teach stranger danger. I simply teach them that we dont go anywhere with a stranger or give them personal information. I dont want my kids to fear people!

Maybe none of what worked for me will work for you, or maybe it will. But good luck on whatever you try. I certainly know how exhausting it can be.

• Posted

I think you will have to be a little firm and not give in to picking up.  Reassure him but let him know you are not picking him up at every given point.  Introduce others and try to persevere in getting them involved.  Also you could speak to your health visitor who could offer some tips.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.