My childhood friend is experiencing sudden hearing loss.

Posted , 6 users are following.

My childhood friend is experiencing sudden hearing loss in one ear. Does he need an Audiologist or an ENT Specialist?

2 likes, 8 replies

Report / Delete

8 Replies

  • Posted


    It may be a case of having the ear/ears flushed out by their gp. Or the gp  may send them to ent hospital. But, as my old man used to say "only put your elbow in your ear". Leave it to the professional.


    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

    I had sudden hearing loss in one ear, it came on while I was in the shower and was probably caused by water getting into my ear and dislodging a bit of wax that plugged it.  I thought it would go away on its own but a week later I was still deaf so I had that ear syringed and it cleared and now I make sure I don't let water get into my ears.  Had your friend had a shower or used a cotton bud to clean his ears? For the week before I had them syringed I put some olive oil ear drops in which helped soften the wax which made it easier to get it out.  Even if he didn't have a shower just before it could still be a piece of wax has shifted and caused the deafness and perhaps a few days of putting in ear drops may put everything back to normal.

    Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up