My chronic ankle injury for over 2 years

Posted , 6 users are following.

For those who have followed all my other posts about my ankle I have an update. I went to a therapist who decided to do Astym therapy. It was to breakdown scar tissue that she believe was causing problems. A couple weeks later my scar tissue was gone but i was still in a lot of pain. Then i fell in thearapy and sprained my ankle. We got me back. After 10 weeks of therapy she added 3 more weeks. I was not getting better in my mind. AFter the three extra weeks she said I was done and just to do therapy at home and take myself out of the brace and I would be good. 

Doing the therapy does nothing and my ankle still wants to twist. My ankle is also still very sore. After over 2 years this is not  getting easier. I could use suggestions. If you don't know my whole story you will have to read my other discussions. 

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi,

I was wondering what kind of pain specifically? I tried to read your other ones and you said it hurts to walk but not what kind of pain. (Throbbing, stabbing, burning) ?

I won't waste my time rewriting my story, so if you'd like you can go to my profile and read my discussion. I had a similar situation with a severely sprained ankle and continuous pain. It would get so bad I couldn't walk. For months I had mri's and X-rays, cortisone shots, and did every kind of therapy you could think. Nothing helped or gave me a diagnosis. My doctor was between two things: he believed I either had Complex Regional Pain Syndrome in my ankle or that he would like to do an ankle arthroscopy.

I suggest you look up the complex regional pain thing and see if any of your symptoms match. It's rare but severe sprains tend to set it off. If it doesn't match I suggest talking to your doctor about an ankle arthroscopy. I just had mine done a month ago and it went well so far. In my one MRI the doctors had seen swelling in my bone (which they can't do much about) and a bone cyst (they said it's like a little bone blister). They didn't believe that this was causing my pain so ignored it. When they did my ankle scope they found out when they touched the surface it had caved in and made a fracture in my bone. I had basically been walking on a fractured bone for months which is what they believed was causing the pain. As well, in my original MRI I had a lot of scar tissue on my injured ligaments, but even on things that hadn't been injured. It was encasing almost all of my tendons and and ligaments, which was really limiting my ankle movement, so they removed all of the scar tissue.

I hope this gives you some hope! I know it's so frustrating. I did so much physical therapy and I was constantly told I just need to do more and it would get better, but it never did it only got worse. I hope they finally figure out what's wrong with your ankle and wish you all the best!

• Posted

Hi

just wondering what they found on your MRI and whether they missed anything. I have been in pain and my foot goes inwards but keep being told MRI is normal just strengthen with Physio 

• Posted

Thank you it is throbbing and sometimes stabbing. At this point it almost feels like it is all in my head.
    • Posted

It's not in your head, but when docs are so busy and they look at you like you are wasting their time it's easy to feel that way. Just keep going to the doctors till they take you seriously.  Years of pain can make you feel depressed and doubt yourself - don't. It's your right to feel well - keep pushing. 

• Posted

I am out of therapy and just dealing with it now. I am really done with it. 
    • Posted

Hi Tonybear. I feel for you. I'm going through same issues. How are you now? Mine is only 6 weeks on crutches but no diagnosis. Its getting worse. I really hope u are better now. From philuppa

• Posted

TonyaBear,

I hope you can give us a little update on your progress since you posted it 10 months ago.

We are all wishing you the very best.

• Posted

Hi, yes i imagine you are dissapointed. how are you going now? Im in early days with no diagnosis. Very interested to hear how things are now. Im 6 months pregnant and really want to be fixed up before my baby here. Are you off crutches now? All the best love.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.