My conditions and girlfriends

Posted , 3 users are following.

So I thought I'd post this and see what the general reaction / views are of people.

So I have lived with chronic costochondritis / fibro for about 2 1/2 years now and I get the common symptoms

Chest wall pain , muscle spasms , tightness of muscles , feeling like my heart skips a beat. Etc

But recently I've tried dating again now for me it's a massive step as previously I've been dumped because of all of the above being a 'problem'.

Now I got this

Morning I can see that you had a an awful night ???? I'm sorry. After seeing your pain this morning I thought I would read up and understand exactly what your dealing with and here are my finds.

Costochondritis, is a medical term for inflammation of the muscle which joins the ribs cage. this is not a condition that can affect you longterm it's a diognoseis given at the time of a flare up causes by trauma to the chest. It can worsen though a bad cough and exercise but should gone down in time, and pain managed with painkillers. So from what I understand it's not a condition that you live with its something that may flare up through an action.

Fibromyalgia, this is a condition which you live with, and affect your whole body. Those that suffer from this may also incur IBS, headaches and trouble sleeping. They don't know the exact cause but it's triggered by chemical change from the brain affecting the nervous system in turn causing pain from the neck down. Many cases are triggered through depression such as , loss of a loved one, emotional trauma, brake down of a relationship or injury and infection to the head. There are some ways to manage some symptoms , through antidepressants, councilling and forms of exercise.

It seems that maybe your attack this weekend was more the Fibromyalgia rather than the arthritis given your symptoms but only you would tell. When you say you suffer from Costochondritis, I don't see this as a condition you need to say you live with as it's not a continously medical condition, a bit like phenomenon, it's a diognoseis given when it's aggregated (correct me if I'm wrong ).

If I am right I would say that it's more the Fibromyalgia, that your previous partners have been scared of dealing with as it's more mind related rather than a physical issue. But just because I now understand your conditions a little better does not mean I am gonna run, I just need to talk to you more about how and why it came about and your sensitivity with it.

If we are to move on in our relationship I need to understand everything.

But when I replied saying that most googled results and sites don't have correct answers or all the information I got this

I'm suprised baby as I looked at several sites to confirm facts where the same. We do need to talk more about it especially the Fibromyalgia.

Now my guard is up again and I'm not sure if I can fully make her understand that a lot of what she has said is wrong and just a general info on what people suffer and it's not everyone is the same.

I may have read too much into it but I am glad that she has taken the time to try and research it but a bit unhappy that what she had read is now gospel to her ?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Whether she is right or wrong: she does care and makes an  effort to understand your condition. She is definitely a keeper. :-)

As for right or wrong: she'll just need a bit more reading and talking. Give her time.

• Posted

Hello :-)

Yes I'm happy that she wants to understand it as I really like her !

It's the part where when I try to explain she questions me based on the facts she found on Internet

That really bothers me :-(

• Posted

Costochodritis typically lasts a few weeks but not always. I have tietzes syndrome and from my understanding they are fairly similar although in tietzes the cartilage swells up but this doesn't happen in costo. I have had it for 7 years. My friend has been suffering with costo for 2 and a half years it can be chronic but there isn't much information about it. Most of the nhs websites say both conditions are normally resolved in a few weeks but there are always exceptions.

I don't know much about fibromyalgia but from what I understand is that it's a condition that affects more of the body and causes fatigue. Whereas Costochodritis would explain the chest pains. Your girlfriend sounds interested to know more and seems like she genuinely cares so sit down with her and explain it all and how it makes you feel.

• Posted

Hi

Yes we have spoken now about it and sorted it. I told her that most internet sites don't have much info on costo and that some are misleading.

It's not often that a person with costo clears up in a few weeks.

We are good and she is so amazing and understanding

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.