My Copper Coil review

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi  

I am 24 years old, in a serious relationship, no children, 5ft1 and am overweight. I am writing this as when I was researching what contraception to go for due to feeling like I was running out of options, I saw an overwhelming amount of negative stories about the copper coil and I wanted to clarify that for some it can be extremely effective and positive, maybe even life changing

I had been on the pill since I was 15 years old. Originally I was on jasmine and then a different hormonal one that I cant remember the name of but as I matured, put on weight etc they put me on cerezette. This is where my problems started.. I had an extreme reaction to cerezette and believe that for the six months I was on it, it changed me as a person. It made me reactive, volitile, explosive.. I thought the world was going to end and in the end it just made me very very depressed.

After stopping that I was put on Micronor, two a day due to being overweight. I started taking this when I was 19 years old at the start of my relationship in which i'm currently in. With Micronor you MUST take it within a three hour window or it is inaffective. For a few years micronor worked for me I would have irregular periods and never really know where I was with my cycle. I spent the majority of my first year on it thinking I was pregnant and buying tests but I thought it was worth it as long as my side effects were minimal.

After around three years on it I started to feel like my breasts were really swollen, my sex drive slowed (I was a lot dryer than usual), constapated, my periods were irregular and sometimes non-existant others really heavy and my moods were ALL over the place.. I started to feel like I was loosing grip on myself again similar to what I felt like when on cerezette. At first I thought I might have been pregnant but after multiple tests proved I wasn't I went to the doctors. Due to the nature of my side effects the doctor suggested it may be that my body is disagreeing with the pill that I was on and maybe we should change it up, but afer a talk with my partner we decided that I should try not taking anything for a while and let my body "re-set" to its natural state. I feel like it is programmed into young women these days that they must be pumping hormones into themselves to ensure they dont get pregnant and I had had enough of the side effects for a while. 

After stopping taking that pill within a week I felt like a different person. I was happy, relaxed, less bloated, going to the toilet regularly, I wanted to have sex again and everything felt like it was working again. I felt like a weight had been lifted off me that I didn't even realise was there.. I felt amazing. I went contraception free (used condoms still obviously) for around four months, my periods were normal and regular, my period pains were worse but I didn't mind. My periods actually felt like a release! However, using condoms with my partner was becoming a real mood killer so I knew that I had to look into other methods of contraception but this time HORMONE FREE. 

I read so many horror stories about the copper coil that by the time I went to have my insertion I was terrified, my partner came with me and sat in the waiting room whilst I went in. I told the doctor I was nervous and she laughed and told me it wasnt going to be that bad. You lie on the table and the speculum is inserted, I wasn't given any pain relief or numbing gel but I had taken two paracetamol and an ibruprofen before, the nurse held my hand whilst I clenched my teeth, you feel a bit of messing around down there and a little sharp pain and a few clenches in your stomach and its done! I get a bit fainty anyway so I had to lie down for a while after it was done. For a week after I had stomach cramps and it was quite painful, but nothing a hot water bottle and some tablets couldnt sort out since then NOTHING. Literally no pains, no bleeding, no nothing. My period was absolutely fine, no heavier than when I was on no contraception at all. Sex has been amazing because it has been worry free and I have really just felt relaxed with the process. After six weeks I had my first check up and was told that everything was absolutely fine. I asked about checking my " strings " but I was told that doctors cut them differently. The shorter they are cut the more prickly they can be which sometimes can mean that they can be felt by your partner, When they are left a little longer they will soften to the shape of your  cervix which is why I struggled to feel mine and was told I shouldnt worry about it! So I wont. I'm so excited that I shouldn't have to worry or even think about contraception for at least five years or until I want to have kids. 

On talking about this with other women at work I was actually shocked at how many of them had a coil and have had really positive experiences with it, they just don't talk about it! I feel people are more likely to share if they have had a negative experience with something than a positive. But I thought I should share my experience incase anyone else feels like they are running out of options like I felt. 

Hope this helped somebody!

0 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I realise that this thread is quite old and I probably won’t get a reply, but I had the copper coil fitted today at 4:30pm and it’s now 1:30am. It hurt a fair bit when getting it done and about 10 minutes after the pain hit me like a wave. Since then I’ve had extremely bad cramping, the pain is making me feel physically sick. I always get bad cramping for the first day of my cycle but never this bad. I’ve taken tablets and used a hot water bottle but it’s not helped whatsoever. I’ve work 8 hours and hoping the pain starts to subside as at the moment I can barely stand up, and my job involves standing and a lot of movement. Was anyone’s experience this painful? And has any positive encouragement that the pain will be gone ASAP? I don’t know if I can bare this sad 
    • Posted

Sorry to hear you're in so much pain! sad This is normal as it's your body trying to reject a foreign object that shouldn't normally be there. Everyone will have different experiences and unfortunately it will hurt a lot more for longer for some people. But it should subside!

I was really really uncomfortable and lay curled up in my bed feeling sorry for myself for hours but it disappeared suddenly and I was fine the next day. If you're still in as much pain before work don't go in. Just stay in bed and rest and keep doing what you're doing. Pain killers and hot water bottle and try lying in different positions to see if lying a certain way helps a bit. I'd say if the pain doesn't ease off and is still as severe in 24 hours then get some professional advice. Also watch out for the coil being completely rejected and coming out as really severe cramping can be a sign of that. But this is early days so don't jump to conclusions!! Give it a day or 2 and see how you feel. I hope you feel better soon! X

• Posted

The pain isn’t bad so bad atm, though I am on regular pain killers, however it is making me feel sick and constantly feel like I need the toilet. Not sure if anyone else experienced this, hoping it clears up soon because it isn’t a nice experience so far. Thank you for the reply smile 
  • Posted

Just like to say my experience with copper coil was absolutely awful. I’m 16 but got in it when I was 15, I had it fitted in as an emergency contraceptive and it worked just fine for a month or two. I had awful cramps so bad that I wld be crying and cld barely get out of bed. I don’t use tampons and I wld use extra thick pads and it bled through them in under and hour the first 4-5 days that I started to wear two underwear’s w two pads just t catch any excess that fell out. It was a nightmare the week leading up t my period and the week before. I was taking pain killers every 4 hours and the pain still would stop.I thought I wld have it for 5 years and that the pain would stop but it never did. That wasn’t even the worst part after I got it fitted in February and worked fine all the way up to April I got a yeast infection, at first I didn’t think much of it I had done my research and found out that almost every women in there life time will get it so I just though okay thts normal. I got an over the counter oral pill and worked like a charm but 2-3 weeks later after my period symptoms started coming back and I went to the gp and she said that it’s normal some infections don’t go away w just an over the counter drug so I felt a little better and still didn’t suspect my copper coil at all, again my period happened and it’s aroujd May time and I get my period again and after that I start to see that it’s back. This time I started t suspect the Copper coil since I did some research and found out many other women suffer from this as wlel. I called my gp and she prescribed me the same thing a vaginal pill thing and some external cream. I asked if it was the copper coil and she insisted it wasn’t. Bare in mind I have never got a yeast infection in my life. My friends mum is a doctor so I asked her some questions and apparently doctors suspect it’s the string that caused the vaginas natural acidity to go down or something like that so don’t quite me on that. It later went but I had awfully bad pains that were worse than ever that my boyfriend begged me to get it removed because it was causing me the worst kind of pain possible. Now that I have gotten it removed I have no pain nothing and now that I am on the pill fingers crossed tht I will have light periods 😂 Everyone is different but honestly my experience was so bad and honestly so draining that I wld like people to know the risks and also side effects and realise that it’s something that does happen a lot due to the iud but also it doesn’t happen to everyone 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.