My Crohns Disease worries. Please help!

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi Everybody

I'm currently in the process of being investigated for possible Crohns Disease, follow frequent raised Faecal Calprotectin results in the 300 range. I've been generally unwell for a few years now and diagnosed with Fibromyalgia, Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, Anxiety and IBS. Recently however, my doctor wanted to check calprotectin levels, and repeat tests after that have given results in the 300 range, hence why my doctor now suspects CD, and wants to proceed with further investigations. I have had two colonoscopies in the last few years, the first with polyps removed which were benign, and the latter with biopsies taken which came back showing no problems at all, in fact there were comments as to how healthy my colon, rectum and terminal ileum looked, the only issue found were hemorrhoids.

Now usually my bowel movements are formed as they should be, but only happen every 3 to 4 days, I only ever need to pass stools once when I go, and there is no blood present. However, last night I went to bed feeling a bit more worse than normal, quite groggy in the lower abdominal area and a bit nauseous. When I woke there was an almost immediate need to have a bowel movement, and I have to say it was quite 'explosive'. It was loose with lots of wind being produced. About an hour after this I had to go again and this time it was very watery. I have just been a third time now and it was watery again, but this time there looked to be a small amount of red blood present with it. On top of that I have felt generally unwell and very slightly faint and weird all morning. After each bowel movement the abdominal cramps ease a lot, but still feel discomfort in that area. All my vitals are fine, temperature, heart rate, etc. I've had tonnes of other tests done in recent months with nothing out of the ordinary showing up.

Now I know I'm in the process of investigation for CD, but I was wondering if there is anything in particular I should look out for that might warrant immediate medical attention whilst waiting for my first Gastroenterology appointment? Also, if this is a CD flare up that I am experiencing, is there any way I can ease it to make me more comfortable and help it pass quicker? I'm quite worried as even though I have experienced the odd episode in the past like this, I have never had so many bowel movements in such a short space of time or felt as unwell as I do at present. To be honest the symptoms I'm experiencing at the moment aren't actually too bad, I'm just a complete wet blanket when it comes to feeling ill and handling pain. The pain and general unwell feeling I can handle, I just don't like the faint and weird feelings at all.

Any thoughts, views and advice would be really appreciated.

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi Paul, i think it is a crohn's flare up. I have crohn's for coming up for 11 years and had two mild flare ups.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.